Basic Electronics Syllabus [ MNIT Jaipur 2013-14]
SYLLABUS FOR I YEAR B.TECH.
(Common to all Branches)
Subject: Basic Electronics Engineering
- Diode Circuits: band structure of insulators, Metals & Semiconductors, mobility, conductivity, doping, Electrons and holes in an intrinsic semiconductor, Donor and acceptor impurities, charge densities in a semiconductor, Hall Effect. Current components in diode, transition & diffusion Capacitances, Single phase rectifier (half-wave and full-wave rectifier) & their analysis, compare half wave and full wave rectifiers, compare bridge and center-tap rectifier, various types of filter (Capacitor filter, Inductor filter, choke-Input LC filter, π filter), clipping circuits(series and shunt) & clamping circuits.
- Bipolar Junction Transistor(BJT): Junction transistor, Current components in transistor, transistor construction, The transistor as an Amplifier, various configurations(CE, CB, CC) & characteristics (Input and Output) of BJT’s configurations, cut off, saturation and active region, Early effect, analytical expression for transistor characteristics (Ebers-Moll Model).
- Transistor Biasing & Stabilization: Operating point, DC & AC load line, biased stability, various types of transistor biased circuits (Fixed-bias circuit, Fixed-bias with emitter resistor, self-bias or Emitter Bias), stabilization against variation in Ico, Vbe and β, bias compensation, thermistor & sensistor compensation, thermal runway & thermal stability.
- Field Effect Transistor (FET): Introduction to junction field effect transistor (n-channel and p-channel), comparison between BJT and JFET, Construction of JFET, The JFET Volt-Ampere characteristics, the pinch off voltage, Construction & characteristics of MOSFET (depletion type MOSFET and Enhancement type MOSFET), biasing of FET’s.
- Number systems: binary arithmetic: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, Base conversion, conversion formulas with examples, one’s and two’s compliment arithmetic.Logic Gates, Boolean algebra, Boolean postulates, Evaluation of truth functions, Truth–function calculus as Boolean algebra
- Minimization Techniques: Using Boolean identities, standard representations for logical functions (SOP & POS forms), Karnaugh map representation, simplification of logical functions using K-map, minimization of logical functions specified in minterms/maxterms or Truth Table.
1. Integrated Electronics, Millman, Halkias, TMH.
2. Basic Electronics and Linear Circuits, N N Bhargava (TTTI Chandigarh), TMH
3. Integrated Electronics, Millman, Halkias, TMH.
4. Electronic Devices and Circuits, David A. Bell, Oxford
5. Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory, R. L. Boylestad, Pearson Education
6. Digital Circuits and Design, S Salivahanan, Vikas Publishers
7. Digital Electronics, Moris-Mano, PHI
8. Microelectronics Circuits - Theory And Applications, Sedra, Smith, Oxford