Hunger Knows No Season
Serving Des Plaines Since 1971
We are an independent, not-for-profit organization serving Des Plaines, Illinois residents with groceries and clothing during a time of need.
Location and Hours
600 E. Algonquin Rd., Des Plaines, IL 60016
Client hours: Tuesdays 12:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. and Saturdays 10:00 a.m. - Noon
Registration hours: Same as Client hours above, but we ask that you come at least an hour before the closing time.
Donation drop-off hours: Mondays and Tuesdays 9:00 - Noon and Saturdays 9:00 - 10:00 a.m.
Note about donations: Please do not leave donations outside the door as they attract squirrels, possums, raccoons, etc., and we must dispose of the items. Drop off donations only during the hours above, or drop non-perishables in our Red Barrels around town.
- We are accepting only WINTER clothing and coats at this time.
- WE ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF MEN'S WINTER GLOVES.
- We desperately need canned fruits (NOT pineapple, please). Aldi has fruit cocktail, mandarin oranges and sliced pears (all in juice) at the best price around. Thank you!!
Urgent Donation Needs as of December 7, 2019
- Canned fruit (see note above)
- Canned ready-to-serve soup (Progresso, Campbell's Chunky, etc.)
- Pasta sauce in cans or jars (Aldi has it in plastic jars.)
- Pancake syrup
- Coffee, tea, hot cocoa
- Instant pudding or gelatin dessert mixes
- Meal shakes for people with diabetes (Glucerna or generic)
- Boxed oatmeal packets
- Baby diapers - SIZE 5 only at this time, please. (We have LOTS of baby wipes.)
- Deodorant - full size
- Postage stamps
Watch this video to learn all about the Self Help Closet & Pantry of Des Plaines. It was produced by the City of Des Plaines to educate residents about this remarkable place in our community.
Food Pantry solicitors on corner - NOT US.
Occasionally you will see people wearing FOOD PANTRY vests soliciting donations from drivers at Lee & Oakton and other busy intersections. The Self-Help Closet and Pantry of Des Plaines is NOT related to that group. The last such group was from the Joliet area.
Our volunteers will never be standing on street corners soliciting donations.