Central Australian Community Toy Library
Cleaning Policy/ guidelines
As part of our conditions of membership, we require families to clean all toys and return in the mesh bag or container provided. Below are some tips for easy cleaning.
· The simplest way to clean most toys is with antibacterial/ disinfectant wipes that you can buy from the supermarket.
· For toys which need a bit more TLC, a trip to the sink for a scrub in hot, soapy water will do wonders. Please do not immerse the toys in water as sometimes water can get in and cannot be removed resulting in bacteria growing.
· If the toy is very dirty, use a toothbrush or satay stick with cotton wool to get in all those hard-to-reach nooks and crannies. Dry the toy with a clean tea towel.
· If your child has been ill, please disinfect the toys - no one wants to spread those nasty germs! But please do not soak the toys in disinfectant as this can remove the colour from some plastics. The antibacterial/ disinfectant wipes are great for this!
· Dry the toy or leave to dry overnight. Please make sure the toy is perfectly dry before returning it to its bag or box. Do not submerge toys in water as they can trap water inside them or in the case of wooden toys, they can get too wet to effectively dry. If you are unable to return completely dry, please let a staff member know so we can ensure it is dry before putting it back for borrow.
Do not to immerse in water as they collect water and damage battery circuits which can lead to harmful bacteria developing. Wipe the surface with a cloth.
Wooden Toys and Train Sets – Wipe over. Allow time to thoroughly dry. These toys should not be immersed or soaked.
Duplo/Lego – Wash well with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Rinse and leave to drain overnight.
Outdoor/ waterplay / sandpit toys – These must be cleaned well remembering that the next member may wish to use it inside. Remove all sand and dirt and clean well with hot soapy water.
Board Games and Cardboard Puzzles – Paper-based materials, such as puzzles and games, are not considered a high risk for transmission and do not need additional cleaning or disinfection procedures. Please clean counters and other plastic parts of a game.
Fabric items (Dress-ups/Puppets/Dolls Bedding/Infant Soft Toys) – Hand wash or gentle machine wash with laundry detergent and hang to thoroughly line dry.
Bikes, scooters and other ride-ons – These must be washed, keeping in mind that the next member may wish to use them inside.
Toy storage bags and boxes – Wipe handles and all areas that have been touched, ensuring everything is dry before placing toys back in them.
If toys are returned dirty a fee of $5.00 per toy will be applied to the members account.