I am a professor at the Department of Economics, NHH Norwegian School of Economics (NHH), Scientific Director of the Centre of Excellence FAIR (Centre for Experimental Research on Fairness, Inequality and Rationality) and co-director of the research group The Choice Lab. I am Einstein Visiting Fellow at Humboldt University in Berlin and Associated Senior Researcher at Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) in Bergen, and serve as an associate editor in Journal of Political Economy and Social Choice and Welfare.
My research interests are experimental and behavioral economics, development economics, distributive justice and social choice theory. I presently have an ERC Advanced Grant on the project “Fairness and the moral mind” and a Research Excellence Grant from the Research Council of Norway on “Fair inequality and personal responsibility.”
- The Effect of Early Childhood Education on Social Preferences (co-authors Alexander Cappelen, John List and Anya Samek), Journal of Political Economy, May 05, 2020.
- The Development of Social Comparisons and Sharing Behavior Across 12 Countries (co-authors Anya Samek, Jason Cowell, Alexander Cappelen, Yawei Cheng, Carlos Contreras-Ibanez, Natalia Gomez-Sicard, Maria Luz Gonzalez-Gadea, David Huepe, Agustin Ibanez, Professor Kang Lee, Susan Malcolm-Smith, Natalia Salas, Bilge Selcuk, Alina Wong, Xinyue Zhou, and Jean Decety), Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, April 2020.
- Teaching through television: Experimental evidence on entrepreneurship education in Tanzania, (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen, Kjetil Bjorvatn, Linda Helgesson Sekei, Erik Ø. Sørensen), Management Science.
- Ethnically Biased? Experimental Evidence from Kenya (co-authors Lars Ivar Oppedal Berge, Kjetil Bjorvatn, Simon Galle, Edward Miguel, Daniel N. Posner and Kelly Zhang, Journal of the European Economic Association, March 27, 2019.
- The development of children’s preferences for equality and equity (co-authors Elizabeth Huppert, Jason M. Cowell, Yawei Cheng, Carlos Contreras-Ibañes, Natalia Gomez-Sicard, Luz Maria Gonzalez-Gaeda, David Huepe, Agustin Ibanez, Kang Lee, Randa Mahasneh, Susan Malcolm-Smith, Natalia Salas, Bilge Selcuk, Alina Wong, Xinyue Zhou and Jean Decety), Developmental Science, 21(5), September 2018.
- Fairness in bankruptcy situations: An experimental study, (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen, Roland Luttens and Erik Ø. Sørensen), Management Science, July 31, 2018.
- Cutthroat capitalism versus cuddly socialism: Are Americans more meritocratic and efficiency-seeking than Scandinavians?, (co-authors Ingvild Almås and Alexander W. Cappelen), forthcoming in Journal of Political Economy.
- The effect of early education on social preferences, (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen, John List, and Anya Samek), forthcoming in Journal of Political Economy.
- You’ve got mail: A randomized field experiment on tax evasion (co-authors Kristina Bott, Alexander W. Cappelen, and Erik Ø. Sørensen), forthcoming in Management Science.
- Exercise improves academic performance, (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen, Gary Charness, Mathias Ekström, and Uri Gneezy), invited resubmission in Journal of Political Economy.
- Social risk preferences: theory and experimental evidence, (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen, Shachar Kariv, Erik Ø. Sørensen, and Bill Zame), invited resubmission in Journal of Political Economy.
- The Development Gap in Economic Rationality (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen, Shachar Kariv and Erik Ø. Sørensen), June 9, 2020.
- Solidarity and Fairness in Times of Crisis (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen, Ranveig Falch and Erik Ø. Sørensen), June 4, 2020.
- Fairness and limited information: Are people Bayesian meritocrats? (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen and Thomas de Haan), 2020.
- Empowering the disabled: Experimental evidence from savings groups in Uganda (co-author Kjetil Bjorvatn), April 7, 2020.
- Elections and Selfishness (co-authors Kjetil Bjorvatn, Simon Galle, Lars Ivar Oppedal Brge, Edward Miguel, Daniel Posner, Kelly Zhang), March 2020.
- Competitiveness, gender and handedness: a large-sample intercultural study (co-authors Thomas Buser, Alexander Cappelen, Uri Gneezy, Moshe Hoffman), January 2020.
- A Meritocratic Origin of Egalitarian Behavior, (co-authors Alexander Cappelen, Johanna Mollerstrom and Bjørn-Atle Reme), April 2019.
- The Boy Crisis: Experimental Evidence on the Acceptance of Males Falling Behind (co-authors Alexander W. Cappelen and Ranveig Falch), March 2019.
- The Economics of Fairness (edited together with Alexander W. Cappelen). 2019. Edward Elgar Publishing.