Call for Papers
Conference Theme - Southeast Asia: Transition and Transformation
Southeast Asia is a region in transition and transformation. ASEAN as an organization has turned 50. While there are noteworthy achievements, the future is hardly smooth sailing for ASEAN as a community. China’s rise as the premier regional power has spurred growth but also competition, forcing governments to reposition strategies as well as policies. In many parts of Southeast Asia, democratization seems to be digressing. The prevalence of one-party governments means that political change is usually slow and subtle, and governance has not been keeping pace with the rapid economic growth. Other challenges such as inequalities, corruption, ethnic polarization, cultural conflicts, territorial disputes, communicable diseases and migration are but some of the issues that need to be seriously addressed.
Building on the success of the “2017 Wenzao International Conference on Southeast Asia Studies” (Wenzao ICSEAS 2017) with conference theme: Beyond Borders and Boundaries and a forthcoming edited book volume entitled Southeast Asia: Beyond Borders and Boundaries (10 chapters/publication date: June 2018), Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages continues to host the second Wenzao ICSEAS (Wenzao ICSEAS 2018). The 2018 Conference theme will be “Southeast Asia: Transition and Transformation”. The organizers encourage submissions of panel proposals or individual presentations on the following ten sub-themes:
1. ASEAN as a community: Challenges and Prospects
2. ASEAN Economies: Challenges and Prospects
3. Southeast Asian Histories and Social Change
4. Environment Sustainability
5. Democratization and Its Discontent
6. Literature, Film, Media, the Arts and Cultural Studies
7. Language and Linguistics
8. People-to-people Connectivity: The Roles of NGOs
9. Taiwan and Southeast Asia
10. Health and Migration Policy
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ABSTRCT SUBMISSION
Submissions should be made and presented in English, as it is the working language of the conference. We welcome papers and panel proposals as well. Paper proposals should be submitted via online system in Word format and contain the title, name and author(s)’ affiliation, contact information (address, telephone, and email) and an abstract of no more than 500 words. Papers with more than one author should identify which author(s) will be presenting.
Abstract submission deadline: May 15, 2018
Notification of accepted papers: May 31, 2018
Deadline for full paper submissions: September 15, 2018
Official registration period: September 20 -October 15, 2018
Conference Dates: October 25-27, 2018
Conference Venue: Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Organizer: Center for Southeast Asian Languages Teaching (CSALT), Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages
Panel Proposals and other conference inquiries should be submitted to CSALT Coordinator
Mr. Kai Otto Chang: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Registration: Free
2. No late abstract or full paper will be accepted after the deadline. Online system will be closed.
3. All presenters and participants should cover their own airfare to Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
4. Paper presenters will receive an honorarium (NT$2000 or US$ 60-65 per presentation, foreign national is subject to 6% of tax).
5. Complementary meals will be provided during the conference.
6. A complementary half-day Kaohsiung tour will be an option.