The Optics Society at the University of Michigan (OSUM) promotes the discipline of Optical Science and Engineering through the organized effort of students and faculty, disseminate knowledge of the field of Optics and Photonics, and to further the professional development of the students. OSUM is a joint student chapter of the Optical Society (OSA) and the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE).
As a chapter, some of our goals are:
- To provide an open forum for optics discussions between faculty, undergrads, and graduate students.
- To disseminate optics knowledge and raise awareness of optics related activities.
- To better create a cohesive optics community here at Michigan.
- To provide a stress-free place for presentation of research and optics ideas.
- To educate the greater community about science, technology, and optics.
- To provide a bridge between students and the local/national chapters of SPIE and OSA.
- To encourage conference participation and presentation among all students.
- To provide funding opportunities to attend conferences.
The Optics & Photonics Industry Spotlight event is designed to be more than just a career fair. The goal of the event is to raise awareness of the field of optics and photonics and highlight opportunities in this industry. Optics-related companies from all over the state of Michigan are invited to host an informational table and give short overview of their company to the attendees. There will also be a keynote presentation that highlights what it is like to have a career in industry and the role that optics has played in technological development - past, present, and future. Following the presentation, there will be a reception to conclude the event, giving attendees time to network and connect with companies.
Date: Thursday, March 28, 2019
Time: 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Where: Dining Hall, Building 18, North Campus Research Complex
~ More information ~