Indiana Special Education Assisted Licensure

Indiana Special Education Assisted Licensure (I-SEAL) is available to fund post-baccalaureate programs of study that will enable teachers to become fully licensed to teach special education for a public school in Indiana. The primary license focus is adding Exceptional Children: Mild Intervention certification to an existing license, while remaining employed with your existing school district.

There are three universities currently participating in I-SEAL and are providing the 18 credit hours of study to choose from. They all provide the appropriate, approved classes and support for taking the Praxis test at the end as well as support in getting through the licensing process.

The cost of textbooks is provided in addition to the tuition costs – all paid directly to the university upon completion of each course.

To be eligible, a teacher must:

  1. Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution recognized by the USDE;

  2. Be currently employed in an Indiana school, have current licensure from the Indiana Department of Education,

  3. Sign a letter of intention to remain employed in an Indiana school as a special education teacher for at least two years past completion of the program and full licensure.

*A priority teacher will be one who holds any valid Indiana teaching license that allows for an additional special education license area to be added.

*A grade of no lower than a C+ needs to be maintained for continued funding.

For teachers currently enrolled in a special education licensure program, other than the ones being offered through I-SEAL, a limited number of scholarships will be offered. These scholarships would allow teachers nearing completion, the ability to subsidize the cost of the program through I-SEAL. Priority emphasis would be given to teachers closest to completion.

To be eligible, the applicant would need to show that they are currently teaching as an underqualified special education teacher in a public school, and:

  1. Have demonstrated history of course completion and have demonstrated the academic aptitude necessary to complete the necessary coursework;

  2. Have a letter of support from the school administrator, indicating their intent to assign the applicant to a special education classroom or caseload in the future academic year. The letter of support from the school’s administrator should also affirm their understanding that for this P-12 licensure there may be required time to complete coursework in various grade levels;

  3. Submit a letter of intent to enter into, or continue, an employment agreement as a special education for at least two years past completion of the program and full licensure.

Scholarship funds can be assigned to Transition to Teaching programs that include special education licensure.

Testing Support Workshops

A prospective special education teacher who has completed all necessary coursework for licensure, but has failed to pass the licensing test once, can apply for a workshop designed to aid the special education candidate in understanding test taking strategies and content necessary to pass the test. A candidate who successfully completes the workshop, and then passes the exam is eligible to submit for reimbursement for the cost of the exam (Praxis tests 5625 and 5543).

Before completing the I-SEAL Interest Form:

  1. Review the 3 university options and determine the best fit for you.

  2. Have your SPN (School Personnel Number issued by the Indiana Department of Education with your license) available as it is needed to complete the interest form. to find yours, visit: https://license.doe.in.gov/educator-license-lookup and enter your information and it will provide the number to you. A substitute permit is not eligible.

  3. Provide a letter of support from your school principal or administrator verifying that you are or will be assigned to teach Special Education in your Indiana classroom.

  4. Provide a letter that promises to remain employed in an Indiana school as a special education teacher of record for at least two years past completion of the program and full licensure.