For a student exploring their faith, one outward expression of their relationship with Jesus is being confirmed as a member of Tower Hill Church. In order to facilitate understanding of such a big decision, Tower Hill Church offers a yearly Confirmation class. Please check below for all information pertaining to the course.
Frequently Asked Questions
What grade is Confirmation Class completed?
Confirmation class is available for any student in 8th grade or above, but it is recommended that they complete it by the end of their 9th grade year. For the 2018-2019 school year, we will be offering our Confirmation Class to all 8th and 9th grade students.
How is Confirmation Class structured?
Our Confirmation Class is introduced to the congregation at the beginning of the journey, which consists of four separate events and experiences as listed below:
- One weeknight meeting to get engaged with others in the class, explain expectations and the journey ahead. Length - 1.5 hours
- A weekend retreat (Friday - Sunday) to Harvey Cedars, NJ where all the teaching sessions will be held along with group activities, fun, and more
- A volunteer requirement
- Writing and presenting a personal Statement of Faith to our church Elders
Confirmation Class will end with our group standing together and being confirmed as members of Tower Hill Church
What are the dates for the 2018-2019 Confirmation Class?
The dates for our Confirmation Class for 2018-2019 are as follows:
- Parents Information Meeting: Monday, December 3, 2018
- Class Blessing in Sunday Services: Sunday February 10, 2019
- Weeknight Meeting: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 from 7:00 - 9:00 PM
- Weekend Retreat to Harvey Cedars Bible Conference: Friday, February 22 - Sunday February 24, 2019
- Statement of Faith Presentations at Session: Tuesday, March 19, 2019
- Confirmation Sunday: Sunday, March 31, 2019
What is the cost to participate in Confirmation Class?
We do not require a payment to be a member of our Confirmation Class but we do ask that you prayerfully consider a donation of $50 to offset the cost of offering the retreat and other experiences.
What is the content taught at the weekend retreat?
We will focus on three main components within our course:
- My Faith - We will explore what it means to be a follower of Jesus and how that relationship grows and matures with understanding
- My Church - We will explore what the church is, what being a Presbyterian means, and will review the history and mission of Tower Hill Church
- My Ministry - We believe our faith grows through serving others with our own unique spiritual gifts, so we will explore what opportunities exist and how best to utilize those gifts we have all been blessed with
What is the Volunteer Requirement?
As part of being a member at Tower Hill Church, there are numerous ways to get involved in a deeper way within the church. We want all participating in Confirmation Class to experience some of those opportunities, so we ask that all class members volunteer with one of our ministries such as:
- Ushering at our Sunday Services
- Leading a week of Sunday School
- Helping one of our local mission partners (ASLAN, HabCore, Pan Am, Habitat for Humanity)
What if my child cannot attend all four of the Class Components?
We understand that scheduling can be tough, and we have tried to consolidate the number of meetings required for Confirmation, so being able to attend all four components is crucial to the Confirmation process. The content and experiences at each component cannot be replicated and therefore your child would not get the full experience of the class by missing any one of the four components. If you cannot make all four components, we recommend the following:
- Postpone attending Confirmation Class to the following school year
- Consider church membership through our New Member Classes which are run approximately two times per year