During college, I taught at Breakthrough Collaborative for five summers in Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Boston, and San Francisco.
I received a grant from the National Endowment of Humanities to study Bach's life and music in Germany.
I performed Shakespeare's sonnets and plays under the direction of John Barton at the British American Drama Academy's Midsummer in Oxford program in the UK.
I studied conflict resolution with a focus in cross-cultural conflict styles and mediated at Community Mediation Services in Jamaica, Queens.
I explored the natural ecosystem, strategies for sustainability, and public education in Costa Rica.
I participated in the 2017 School Law Institute where former Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. led a workshop on Federal Education Policies and ESSA.
I collaborate with teaching artists to enhance student performance skills and build a supportive community.
Teaching & Education Highlights:
- I started teaching at seventeen years old when I became a teaching fellow at Breakthrough Collaborative.
- I was part of the first graduating class of Soka University of America, a liberal arts college founded on the Buddhist principles of peace, human rights, and the sanctity of life.
- I graduated from Teachers College, Columbia University with a Masters in English Education in 2006.
- I received my MFA in Fiction Writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts in 2015.
- I received an Advanced Certificate in Cooperation and Conflict Resolution from Teachers College, Columbia University in 2016.
- I design curriculum with fellow English teachers that inspires students to develop a love for literature and writing (see homepage for project examples).
- I collaborate with teaching artists from Lincoln Center Education and Roundabout Theatre Company to embody characters and build self-confidence.
- I established and advise the "All School Meeting," a monthly "town hall" style gathering where student leaders teach academic and social skills through skits, songs, and presentations.
- I currently facilitate professional development workshops on collaboration, critical thinking, and conflict resolution skills for adult learners.