"Olden Days" Winners
2019 Recipe Winner, 1st Place Apple Pie Contest, Tabitha Marshall of Grafton
Delicious Homemade Apple Pie
- 1 Pastry for double crust 9-inch pie
- 3/4 cup firmly packed Domino Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 6 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 9-inch pie pan with half of pastry.
In large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon rind. Add apples and toss to coat evenly. Spoon apple mixture into pastry-lined pie pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice and dot with butter.
Top with remaining pastry. Trim and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 8 servings.