Throughout its years of existence, GeneSoc remarkably established a name in academic supremacy. Catering not only to the best, but also to the brightest, The UPLB Genetics Society is proud to be the home of six (6) out of 14 summa cum laude graduates of the UPLB Bachelor in Science in Biology Program which is hosted by the Institute of Biological Sciences. The latin honor, summa cum laude, is only given to members of the graduating class with a General Weighted Average (GWA) less than or equivalent to 1.20.
1987 Noel T. Chua (F1)
BS Biology - Microbiology
1992 Ma. Xenia U. Garcia-Ilagan (Chiasma)
BS Biology - Genetics
PhD, University of Missouri (2000)
Research Faculty, Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology
Research Faculty, Department of Developmental Biology
Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
Lecturer, Washington University School of Medicine
1992 Joseph C. Lim (Eugenics) († February 2010)BS Biology - Systematics
Doctor of Medicine (1999), De La Salle Health Sciences Institute
4th place, Physician Board Examinations
University of Western Australia , Master of Laboratory Medicine
First Filipino to win the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, 2004
PhD Pharmacology (Neuropharmacology), Selwyn College, University of Cambridge
Post-Doctoral Scientist, Inositol Lipid Signaling Lab., University of Dundee,2008-2010
1993 Mark Jesus M. Magbanua (Eugenics)
BS Biology - Genetics
MS, Kansas State University (1998)
PhD Plant Biology, University of California - Davis (2004)
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of California - San Francisco
1996 Neilyn P. Ona-Villa (Polytenes)
BS Biology - Genetics
UP Presidential Scholar
Master of Science in Genetics, UPLB (2001)
Assistant Professor, Genetics and Molecular Biology Division
Institute of Biological Sciences, UP Los Baños
2007 Michael B. Gamalinda (Polygenes)BS Biology - Genetics
UP Varrons Thesis Grant
UP Presidential Scholar
One of the Top Ten Jose Rizal Model Students of the Philippines (2006)
One of the Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines (2007)
Researcher, International Rice Research Institute (2007-2009)
PhD Biological Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University (2014)
Organized in 1989 by the BPI Foundation, Inc., the corporate social responsibility arm of the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), with the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), the BPI-DOST Science Awards recognizes exceptional science and engineering students from partner-universities nationwide. These students excel in specialized fields of science such as mathematics, physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, and computer science. The awardees are recognized for their potential contributions to industry and nation-building, and are selected on the basis of their academic and research performance and nomination from the school. Each year, the award-giving body gathers three best entries from each its 10 partner universities, which includes UPLB.
1992 Ma. Xenia U. Garcia (Chiasma), Joseph C. Lim (Eugenics)
1993 Mark Jesus M. Magbanua (Eugenics)
1995 Tricia Mari-len Natural (Transgenics)
1996 Neilyn P. Ona (Polytenes), Jayson D. Rodriguez (Kinetochore)
1998 Teresita L. Tolentino (Isozymes)
2003 Robenzon E.
2007 Michael B. Gamalinda (Polygenes)
The search for the Jose Rizal Model Students of the Philippines is organized by the Order of the Knights of Rizal (OKOR), a civic and patriotic organization and the sole order of knighthood in the Philippines which was created to honor and uphold the ideals of Dr. Rizal. Chartered under Republic Act 646, OKOR is mandated to promote the teachings and values of the national hero, especially among the Filipino youth.
2006 Michael B. Gamalinda (Polygenes)
2016 Paul Jhon Diezon (Phagemids)
2009 First Luzon-wide Genetics Camp
GeneSoc as pioneer member organization and convenor
1994 Formation of the Philippine Society for the Advance of Genetics
- One of the twenty national finalists, one of the four National Finalists (Health, Nutrition and Well-being Category) during the 14th search for Ten Accomplished Youth Organizations (TAYO).
- The K4Health (Kabataan for Health/Kabataang Kabalikat ng Komunidad para sa Kalusugan) Community Youth Training Program was launched at Nampicuan, Nueva Ecija. The activity led to the training of youth leaders of Nampicuan and the establishment of the first VYLH-Philippines Community-based chapter under a VYLH-LGU partnership. The program is a collaboration of GeneSoc, VYLH-Philippines, the LGU of Nampicuan, other partner organizations and sponsors.
- Attendance to the NAST Science Legislative Forum on Folic Acid
- GeneSoc hosted PalaCASan 2016
- MS. PALACAN 2015 Ms. Nadine Lutao, Riboswitch
- CHAMPION Men’s Basketball
- Men’s Basketball MVP Mr. Gian Vergara
- CHAMPION Women’s Badminton Ms. Katrina Gambalan
- 2nd Runner-up Women’s Basketball
- Women’s Basketball Best Shooter Ms. Meg Benigno
- 2nd and 3rd place 50 and 100 m sprint Mr. John Eric Balentoza
- Attendance to NAST Roundtable Discussion on Folic Acid and NAST Annual Scientific Meeting, as youth representatives and conference ushers/volunteers, respectively.
- The Plasmids (Band), Winner/1st Place, IBS Battle of the Acoustic Bands (32nd Founding Anniversary Celebration of the Institute of Biological Sciences)
- Champion, PalaCASan Men's Basketball
- Champion, PalaCASan Women's Badminton - Kat Gambalan, Trancriptome
- With the goal of reaching out to all BIO 30 (Genetics) students and encouraging academic excellence, supplementary questions were posted in the Official Facebook Page of The UPLB Genetics Society.
- GeneSoc was invited by the NGO Fostering Education & Environment for Development (FEED) in planting seedlings in the Laguna-Quezon Land Grant at Siniloan, Laguna
Ma.Alexandria Dimaunahan, BatchJean Reni de Guzman, EditosomeRene Amadore Jr., EmergenesisMaria Catalyn Malipol, Batch
- PalaCASan 2013 Friendliest Organization
- Third Place Men's Basketball, PalaCASan 2013
- Revival of the Intercollegiate Genetics Quiz Contest
- Mr. Roden Carlo Lizardo, Transcriptome, Participating Student Spreaker in the 13th International Student Summit in Food and Agriculture in the New Century.
- Ms. Nerissa Joyce Bea, Haplotype, One of the Philippine Delegates to the JENESYS 2.0 Japan-ASEAN-Oceanian Student and Youth Exchange (JENESYS Cultural Exchange Program)
- The Plasmids (Band), Winner/1st Place, IBS Battle of the Acoustic Bands (31st Founding Anniversary Celebration of the Institute of Biological Sciences)
- Ms. Hanna Grace Apondar, Haplotype, One of the Top 500 Finalists of the 2014 ABS-CBN Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs Songwriting Competition [Listen to Stay With You at Sound Cloud Account of The Plasmids]
- One resident member, Gessa Ramos (Amplicons) and three alumni members, Rufus Adducul (Enhanceosomes), Ryan John Pascual (Regulon), and Francia Bartolata (Polygenes) together with Dr. Merlyn Mendioro, GeneSoc Senior Faculty Adviser and one of the founding advisers of VYLH-Philippines, were invited to be the participants and facilitators of the Third VYLH-Philippines National Leadership Congress last November 7-10, 2013. Dr. Mendioro and the three alumni members also participated in the International Conference on Birth Defects in the Developing World last November 10-13, 2013. Both events were held at Shangri-la Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu.
- Ryan John Pascual (Regulon), First National President of VYLH-Philippines was invited to be one of the two youth speakers during the International Conference on Birth Defects and Disabilities in the Developing World. His presentation was entitled "Mobilizing and Empowering the Youth for Health: The VYLH-Philippines experience". His counterpart in representing the youth, Mr. Aron Zhang from Peking University in China.
- PalaCASan 2012 Friendliest Organization
- Best Parol, Parolan 2012
- Ms. Kyla Magno, Iterons; Mutya ng Parolan 2012
- First Folic Acid Awareness Week
- PLASMIDS, the GeneSoc band, 2012 ShowCAS Champion
- Ms. Hanna Grace Apondar, Haplotype, Winner of 2013 TAGHARANA, an annual songwriting competition sponsored by The UPLB Development Communication Society.
- Jerome Florendo, Amplicons; Gelina Bambalan, Haplotype and Cyrene Estrellana, Amplicons, Winners of the UP Cells Cellpukan Quiz Contest and UPLB Representatives to the Biology Major's Association of the Philippines' BIOFEST 2012.
- Ms. Gelina Rose Bambalan, Haplotype, One of the 8 student-delegates to the 10-day Short Stay Program at the College of Agro-Biological Resource Sicences, University of Tsukuba, Japan
- VYLH-Philippines Committee Head, Gessa Ramos (Amplicons) was elected as the Regional Coordinator for Southern Luzon (Region IVa and IVb) last June 4, 2012 during the Second National Leadership Congress of VYLH-Philippines at Island Cove Hotel and Leisure Park, Kawit, Cavite.
- As part of the First VYLH-Philippines Network Awards during the Second VYLH-Philippines National Leadership Congress, The UPLB Genetics Society received the Mass Advocacy Campaign Award for the annual conduct of a special symposium on the Folic Acid Supplementation and VYLH-Philippines advocacies during the annual Genetics Camp. Together with other partner organizations, The UPLB Genetics Society as member of the UP Los Banos Chapter was conferred with the Local Networking Award for its continuous efforts on increasing the number of Volunteer Youth Leaders and partner organizations.
- The Philipine Society for Orphan Disorders recognized the participation of the organization in the "School for Rare Campaign". The Los Banos-based activities were held at Maquiling School Inc. and Los Banos National High School.
- Uno Award for Best Exhibit (BIO 30 Week 2011)
- Two alumni members, Ryan John Pascual (Regulon) and Frank Daniel Canlobo (Chromatosome) were elected as the First VYLH National President and VYLH Vice President for Luzon, respectively. The two were elected by the attendees of the First Volunteer Youth Leaders for Health - Philippines Leadership Congress last May 25-27, 2011 at Fontana Lesiure Parks and Hotel in Angeles City Pampanga.
- First BIO 30 Tutorials Session held at the Main Lecture Hall of the Institute of Biological Sciences last August 5, 2010. For the past years, the BIO 30 tutorials were conducted at the C-107 laboratory room.
Merlyn Mendioro (Left), Senior Adviser and Frank Daniel Canlobo
(Right), Former President, at the 4th International Conference on Birth
Defects and Disabilities in the Developing World held last October 4-7,
2009 at the Hotel Le-Meridien in New Delhi, India.
- 1st runner-up, Ms. Cascasan, Josephine Nevado
- GeneSoc Resident and Alumni Members together with representative from three UPLB organization which constitute the Volunteer Youth Leaders for Health (VYLH) -UPLB Network served as the facilitators of the first VYLH-Philippines National Youth Camp.
- Dr. Merlyn Mendioro, Senior Adviser and Daniel Canlobo, Former President, were invited by Dr. Carmencita Padilla, National Program Coordinator of the VYLH - Philippines and former director of the Institute of Human Genetics of the National Institutes of Health - UP Manila, to be part of the Philippine Delegation to the 4th International Conference on Birth Defects and Disbilities in the Developing World. Also included in the delegation were Dr. Eva Cutiongco- De la Paz, current director of IHG-NIH and Dr. Juanita Basillo, OIC-Director of the Family Health Office - DOH.
Leslie Anne Del Bario, Homeobox, cum laude
Jickerson Lado, Integrons, cum laude
The UPLB Genetics Society members at the HUGO-AP 2008 Conference last April 2-5, 2008 at the Shangrila-Mactan, Mactan, Cebu.
Left to Right: Jaarmy Rebugio (Polygenes), Katherine Matundan (Polygenes), Adrian Bacena (Telomeres), Michael Gammalinda (Polygenes), Lorelie Ramos (Gyrase), Alden Arellano (SNURPS), Dr. Carmencita Padilla (Chair, HUGO-AP '08), Dr. Sumio Sugano (HUGO-AP Co-chair), Vanessa Aldemita (Heteroplasmy), Natasha Delagado (Heteroplasmy), Mikhael Danne Escalora (Ribozymes) and Francia Bartolata (Polygenes)
Genesoc won two awards from the 2009 UNO Awards
Bukas na Larawan (Best Exhibit) and
Bukas na Kamalayan (Best Symposium)
- nominated by IBS, Outstanding CAS Student Organization
- one of the TOP 10 organizations in UPLB, according to SAKBAYAN
- 1st place Blood Drive, National Children’s Hospital
- 3rd place, Volleyball, CASCASAN (Ms. Ma. Betheliza Caguingin, Genoplasm, as one of the mythical six)
- Three honorary members were inducted namely Dr. Carmencita Padilla, Dr. Raquel del Rosario-Fortun and Dr. Rhodora Aldemita
- One Gene: One Child Hope Intervention Outreach was established. It was spearheaded by Ms. Mary Rachel Reventar, Heteroplasmy.
- Best IBS Student Organization, according to
the IBS Awards Committee (although no award was given).
Michael Gamalinda, Polygenes, summa cum laude (Most Outstanding Biology Undergraduate Student)
Adrian Oscar Bacena, Telomere, magna cum laude (Most Outstanding Ecology Major Student)
Andrew Montecillo, Diploid, magna cum laude (Most Outstanding Microbiology Major Student)
Five (5) cum laude graduates:
Jaarmy Rebugio, Polygenes
Royce Ivan Ilao, Polygenes
Therese Julienne Medina, Polygenes
Jae Joseph Russell Rodriguez, Ribozymes
Ma. Merlianne Juliano, Heteroplasmy
- Best Symposium, Bukas Kamalayan Award, UNO Awards
- 3rd place Blood Drive, Red Cross
- 5th place overall, PALACASAN (Ms. Katherine Matundan, Polygenes, mythical six basketball)
runner up, Mr. palaCASan, Mr. Michael Gamalinda, Polygenes
Org Shirt, palaCASan
- First time to participate to the palaCASan Cheering Competition
Three (3) cum laude graduates:
Mia Desiree Azañes, Ribozymes
Audrie Anne Lazaga, Gyrase
Samuel Aragon, Gyrase
- The Genetics Camp was established and spearheaded by Ms. Lorelie Ramos, Gyrase, Vice President.
- Best in Org Shirt, Mr & Ms. palaCASan, Ms. Audrie
Anne Lazaga, Gyrase
- The Genetics Camp was conceptualized by Ms. Audrie Anne Lazaga, Gyrase.
- Champion, Women's Basketball, PalaCASan
- First runner-up, Men's Basketball, PalaCASan
We are inviting alumni members to help us update this listing of our organizations' awards and achievements through outs its glorious existence, especially awards and academic citations of individual genes and organizational achievements. Kindly e-mail them to email@example.com.