About us

Welcome to Glasgow Evangelical Church - Scottish Charity No.SC014295


 We are a friendly Church in the historical heart of Glasgow across the road from us is Glasgow Cathedral, and the Museum of Religion and the smallest house in Glasgow known as Provand's Lordship. So we are in the tourist centre of the city. 

The Church is an 'A' Listed Building and of historical importance to the City.  This highly ornate, Italianate style church which dominates the south eastern corner of Cathedral Square, was built in 1878-80 to a design by John Honeyman.

The congregation have made a tremendous effort to restore the church to its former glory, and there can be little argument as to its success in saving an important building. The church was acquired for a nominal sum, but as the result of their efforts from the beginning of the 1980s the congregation raised a considerable amount to effect the changes now apparent. In the process, it too has gone from strength to strength. From the 50 or so members when the the Church congregation acquired the Church it now has a membership of around 150 – a figure many other churches would be happy to achieve. 

Above the entry to the Church in a pedimented niche, is a statue of St. Paul. The tower rises above this to an octagonal dome with a surmounting cross finial. 





The southern bay entry has a similar niche containing a statue of St. Peter. Four additional statues, of the Evangelists, St Matthew St Mark St Luke and St John, ornament a balustraded parapet between the end bays. All of these are believed to be by McCulloch of London and it has been said that the whole presents "a display of free-standing statuary unusual for a Glasgow church at this or any date.

Behind the pulpit stands the magnificent organ.  It is the original, built and installed by Forster and Andrews of Hull in 1887.   It has a 3 manual keyboard, 1800 pipes and is driven by a 400 volt, 2-horse power motor.  The original motor was water driven and a special main had to be built to provide the required supply.

 The congregation had the Organ overhauled in the late 1990s, spending a considerable sum doing so, as it is believed to be one of only a few of its kind in Scotland. It has been awarded a Certificate Grade I by The British Institute of Organ Studies in recognition of it being an outstanding instrument  by Forster & Andrews 1887 in original condition. It is therefore listed in the Institute’s Register of Historic Pipe Organs as being an instrument of importance to the national heritage and one deserving careful preservation for the benefit of future generations.


Comments