OVERVIEW OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Many students are not familiar with the process of reading a newspaper. They need to learn how to read an article.
- To improve close reading
- To familiarize students with the structure of newspaper articles
- To prepare students to write essays that require reading the newspaper.
ADVICE FOR THE INSTRUCTOR
- THE BENEFITS OF THIS ASSIGNMENT:
- Teaching students to read newspaper articles is an excellent way to focus their attention and encourage them to understand all aspects of a piece of writing, including vocabulary, structure, and content.
- THE CHALLENGES OF THIS ASSIGNMENT:
- Because most students have little experience with reading newspapers, it can require some basic orientation of how to read headlines, how to find an article, how to skim, etc.
- Invest some time in reading activities early on in the semester. It will pay off in later assignments.
There are many ways of teaching reading. We have attached some overall guidelines to provide students.
There is one attachment below. Click on "Download" to view it:
- Tips for reading a newspaper article