worship service reflects a deep concern for poverty and social justice
throughout the world. As a church, we
- Make learning about and finan-cially supporting people living in poverty locally and in other parts of
the world a regular part of our work as a church;
- Coordinate Ely's
annual Gifts That Give Fair and
sponsor the Greater Gift sale at the
- Participate in
projects benefiting those in need, from our local community to abroad through the Episcopal Church in Minnesota's annual Mission Project;
- Sponsor the post-secondary education of Ethiopian students otherwise unable to afford the training they need to work in medical clinics.
- Share in worship, fellowship, and fun with other denominations, including an annual Christmas Eve service, Lenten supper and Holy Thursday meal held jointly with First Presbyterian Church; an annual church picnic with Grace Lutheran and the Presbyterian and Methodist churches; and outreach through the Ely Ministerial Association.
Education forMinistry (EfM): a seminary-level program of theological education and spiritual
formation adapted for parish use and open to the community and run as needed.
Kid's Time: We welcome the restless creativity of children during our regular worship service. We provide them with paper, children's activity bulletins and art supplies to keep their hands busy, and try to keep sermons and the service simple and child-friendly.
Special Topics: At various points in the year, we invite speakers, watch video series, and (always) discuss topics of interest to members of the church and the Ely community. Recent topics have included:
- Forgiveness, based on the PBS series Forgiveness: A Time to Love and a Time to Hate.
- Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism, through Teaching Company videos and guest speakers
- Meditative Practices, including guest speakers from Ely and greater Minnesota on the topics of centering prayer, iconography, and Buddhist meditation.