Homepage of João Marcos
a page about logic, logic and, of course, LOGIC
DIMAp - CCET
UFRN - Campus Universitário Lagoa Nova
59072-970 Natal - RN
Phone: +55 84 3215 3814 (ext:220)
FAX: +55 84 3215 3813
If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man
who has so much as to be out of danger?
(Thomas Henry Huxley, 1877)
I currently act as a supervisor both at the Graduate Studies in Systems and Computing (research area: Foundations of Computer Science) of UFRN and the Graduate Program in Philosophy of UFRN (concentration area: Logic and Formal Philosophy). I also coordinate the CNPq research group Lo.L.I.T.A. (the acronym obviously stands for Logic, Language, Information, Theory and Applications). In 2009-10 I spent my first sabbatical period visiting the Theory and Logic Group of TU-Wien, and in 2016-17 I spent my second sabbatical period visiting the Group on Logic and Epistemology of RUB, as a recipient of the Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award, in the field of Theoretical Philosophy.
In the course of the last twenty years, I have participated in more than a hundred conferences and research meetings, as contributor, as invited speaker and as tutorialist, and have lectured in Argentina, Australia, Austria in Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Israel, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UK, the US, the Vatican, and Venezuela.
I am a reviewer for Mathematical Reviews and Zentralblatt MATH, and have acted as referee for the journals Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, Artificial Intelligence, Bulletin of the Section of Logic, Crítica (MX), Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science, Fundamenta Informaticae, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logics, Journal of Logic and Computation, Journal of Philosophical Logic, Logic and Logical Philosophy, Logic Journal of the IGPL, Logica Universalis, Logique et Analyse, Mathematical Logic Quarterly, Princípios, Review of Symbolic Logic, Soft Computing, Studia Logica, Synthese, and Theoretical Computer Science.
Teachers are the only saviors of nations.
(Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, 1881-1938)
For my teaching duties, please check also my local homepage at UFRN.
- Fundamentos Matemáticos da Computação 3
- Lógica Aplicada à Computação
- Lógica Computacional: demonstração assistida e semi-automática de teoremas.
- Teoria dos Conjuntos [material parcial]
- An Introduction to Paraconsistent Logic
- The XVI EBL tutorial on Foundations of Computerized Theorem Proving (slides available upon request)
- The 3rd UniLog tutorial on Truth-Functionality (slides available upon request)
- The 1st UniLog tutorial on Multiple-Conclusion Logics
But we never admitted the birth of logic among us.
(Oswald de Andrade, 1928)
- A very brief guide on how to write proofs
- Logic @ UFRN (videos of talks delivered at UFRN)
- Conference: NAT@Logic 2015
- Logic and set theory around the world
- The Brazilian Logic Discussion List: Logica-L
- Some journals publishing Logic (with some local rankings)
- Some conferences in CS (with Qualis 2012)
- The Suszkian Odyssey
- Lessons in dealing with copyright: [©1], [©2]
- Sobre o uso saudável da língua portuguesa no estabelecimento de terminologia técnica da área de Lógica:
- Plotting knowledge vs confidence
- Beware of the Paradox Dragon!