Incoming Beginners (2019-2020)
Beginning Orchestra Classes are sorted by instrument. If you did not attend Instrument Selection Night on March 7th, please contact Ms. Wang (email@example.com) regarding your student's instrument choice and getting sized.
- Properly maintained instrument and bow*
- Cleaning Cloth
- Shoulder rest (for violin/viola) or rock stop (for cello/bass)
- Folding music stand for home practice and off-campus events
- Essential Elements for Strings, Book 1 (be sure to get the right one for your instrument)
- Cello players need a stable chair at home without wheels and without armrests to use for home practice.
- Bass players need a stool for home practice (we will discuss this in class in August).
- 2-3 Pencils (we never mark in pen)
- You will be given a black 3-ring binder that is for Orchestra use ONLY.
*PLEASE do not purchase an instrument online! See the documents on the left for more information.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Ms. Wang! Additional resources are available to those who have financial need.
I recommend renting instruments, especially for students who may not be on full-size instruments yet. As they grow, the students will move to bigger size instruments until they reach full size. Included in the monthly rental fee is a protection plan that covers maintenance and repair. If you purchase an instrument, these costs will come out of your pocket instead.
If you did not attend Instrument Selection Night, you either need to bring your student to the rental shop to get sized, or contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up an time to meet at SCIS for your student to get sized.
I do strongly recommend setting up the instrument rental before the summer, because when the school year starts, the shop will be very busy and you may have to wait in a long line to be helped. At times, the demand for instruments for new students exceeds current supply and you may end up on a waiting list. You can call Lisle (281-487-7303) or go online (www.violins.com) to reserve your rental now (you won't be charged for the summer months). You can even select the option for Lisle to deliver your student's instrument directly to SCIS so it will be ready and waiting for your child on the first day of school!
To the right are the brochure from Lisle Violin Shop (the local experts in violin, viola, cello, and bass!) as well as their price list for supplies.