Welcome to Samrat Mukhopadhyay's website
Prof. Dr. Samrat Mukhopadhyay, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology and Chemistry,
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Mohali
Editor, Biophysical Journal (Cell Press)
Short CV Complete CV ORCID Twitter: @SamratLabMohali
Mailing Address: IISER Mohali, Knowledge City, Sector 81, S.A.S. Nagar, Mohali -140306, Punjab, India. Email: mukhopadhyay(AT)iisermohali.ac.in & samrat.iiser(AT)gmail.com
New! Read our latest PNAS paper Click here to read
Read Samrat's News and Views in Nature Chemistry Click here to read
Samrat has been featured in the "Know The Editor" section of the Biophysical Journal. Click here
Read Samrat's invited JPC Feature Article that summarizes the 12-year work of his lab.
J. Phys. Chem. B. 2020. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jpcb.0c07598
Our work is featured on the cover page of the 51st issue of 2020. https://pubs.acs.org/toc/jpcbfk/124/51
Intrinsically Disordered Proteins (IDPs); Prions and Amyloids; Liquid-Liquid Phase Separation; Fluorescence and Raman Spectroscopy and Microscopy; Single-Molecule and Nanoscale Biophysics; Super-Resolution Imaging. See Research Page
NEW! Watch Samrat's online lecture on liquid-liquid phase separation in a Proteinopathy ZOOMinar series organized by Joan-Emma Shea (University of California Santa Barbara), Magda Ivanova & A. Ramamoorthy (University of Michigan):
February 2020: Samrat attended the Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society (Link) that was held in San Diego (Feb 15-19, 2020) and visited and gave seminars at Scripps, Stanford University (Link) and University of California San Francisco.
Details of our International Conference on Intrinsically Disordered Proteins (IDP 2017) at IISER Mohali December 9-12, 2017 can be found here
Samrat's talk at IDP 2017
Academic lineage How to give a good seminar?
List of publications:
Open Researcher & Contributor ID (ORCID) 0000-0003-1242-9958
Read my book review on "Madness and Memory: The Discovery of Prions – A New Biological Principle of Disease" by Stanley Prusiner.
50. "Hofmeister Ions Modulate the Autocatalytic Amyloidogenesis of an Intrinsically Disordered Functional Amyloid Domain via Unusual Biphasic Kinetics" P. Dogra, S.S. Roy, A. Joshi & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Mol. Biol. 2020 (in press). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2020.10.015
49. "The Dynamism of Intrinsically Disordered Proteins: Binding-Induced Folding, Amyloid Formation, and Phase Separation" S. Mukhopadhyay*. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2020 (Invited Feature Article in press). https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jpcb.0c07598
48. "Differentiating Conformationally Distinct Alzheimer’s Amyloid-β Oligomers Using Liquid Crystals" I. Pani, P. Madhu, N. Najiya, A. Aayush, S. Mukhopadhyay* & S.K. Pal* J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2020 (in press).
47. "Excitation Energy Migration Unveils Fuzzy Interfaces within the Amyloid Architecture" A. Majumdar, D. Das, P. Madhu, A. Avni & S. Mukhopadhyay* Biophys. J. 2020, 118, 2621-2626.
46. "Discerning Dynamic Signatures of Membrane-Bound α-Synuclein Using Site-Specific Fluorescence Depolarization Kinetics" K. Bhasne, N. Jain, R. Karnawat, S. Arya, A. Majumdar, A. Singh & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Phys. Chem. B. 2020, 124, 708-717.
45. "Energy Migration Captures Membrane-Induced Oligomerization of the Prion Protein" A. Agarwal, D. Das, T. Banerjee & S. Mukhopadhyay* BBA - Proteins and Proteomics, 2020, 1868, 140324.
44. "Preferential Recruitment of Conformationally Distinct Amyloid-β Oligomers by the Intrinsically Disordered Region of the Human Prion Protein" P. Madhu & S. Mukhopadhyay* ACS Chem. Neurosci. 2020, 11, 86-98.
43. "Intermolecular Charge-Transfer Modulates Liquid–Liquid Phase Separation and Liquid-to-Solid Maturation of an Intrinsically Disordered pH-Responsive Domain" P. Dogra, A. Joshi, A. Majumdar, & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 51, 20380-20389. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jacs.9b10892
42. "Liquid-Liquid Phase Separation is Driven by Large-Scale Conformational Unwinding and Fluctuations of Intrinsically Disordered Protein Molecules" A. Majumdar, P. Dogra, S. Maity & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2019, 10, 3929−3936.
41. "Design of Aqueous-Liquid Crystal Interfaces to Monitor Protein Aggregation at Nanomolar Concentrations" I. Pani, H.M. Swasthi, S. Mukhopadhyay* & S.K. Pal* J. Phys. Chem. C. 2019 123, 1305-1312.
40 "Fluorescence Depolarization Kinetics to Study the Conformational Preference, Structural Plasticity, Binding, and Assembly of Intrinsically Disordered Proteins" A. Majumdar and S. Mukhopadhyay* Methods in Enzymology 2018, 611, 347-381.
39. "Human Fibrinogen Inhibits Amyloid Assembly of Biofilm-Forming CsgA" Hema M. Swasthi, Karishma Bhasne, Sayanta Mahapatra, and Samrat Mukhopadhyay Biochemistry 2018.
38. "Femtosecond Hydration Map of Intrinsically Disordered α-Synuclein" S. Arya, A. Singh, K. Bhasne, P. Dogra, A. Datta,* P. Das,* & S. Mukhopadhyay* Biophys. J. 2018, 114, 2540–2551.
37. "Synergistic Amyloid Switch Triggered by Early Heterotypic Oligomerization of Intrinsically Disordered α-Synuclein and Tau" K. Bhasne, S. Sebastian, N. Jain, & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Mol. Biol. 2018
36. "Electrostatic lipid-protein interactions sequester the curli amyloid fold on the lipopolysaccharide membrane surface" H.M. Swasthi & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Biol. Chem. 2017, 292, 19861-19872.
Featured in special virtual issue: http://www.jbc.org/site/vi/amyloids/
35. "Site-Specific Fluorescence Depolarization Kinetics Distinguishes the Amyloid Folds Responsible for Distinct Yeast Prion Strains" D. Narang, H.M. Swasthi, S. Mahapatra & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Phys. Chem. B. 2017, 121, 8447-8453.
34. "Detergent-induced Aggregation of an Amyloidogenic Intrinsically Disordered Protein" S. Arya, P. Dogra, N. Jain & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Chem. Sci. 2017, 129, 1817–1827.
33. "pH-Responsive Mechanistic Switch Regulates the Formation of Dendritic and Fibrillar Nanostructures of a Functional Amyloid" P. Dogra, M. Bhattacharya & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Phys. Chem. B. 2017, 121, 412-419.
32. "Water Rearrangements upon Disorder-to-Order Amyloid Transition" S. Arya, A. K. Singh, T. Khan, M. Bhattacharya, A. Datta,* & S. Mukhopadhyay* J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2016, 7, 4105−4110.
Click below to play and listen to the presentation!
31. "Direct Observation of the Intrinsic Backbone Torsional Mobility of Disordered Proteins" N. Jain..... S. Mukhopadhyay Biophys. J. 2016, 111, 768-774.
Featured in Faculty of 1000
30. "Characterization of Salt-Induced Oligomerization of Human β2-Microglobulin at Low pH" D. Narang, A. Singh, H.M. Swasthi & S. Mukhopadhyay J. Phys. Chem. B. 2016 (in press).
29. "Confined Water in Amyloid-competent Oligomers of the Prion Protein" V. Dalal, S. Arya & S. Mukhopadhyay ChemPhysChem 2016(accepted). http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cphc.201600440/full
28. "Stepwise unfolding of human β2‑microglobulin into a disordered amyloidogenic precursor at low pH" D. Narang, A. Singh & S. Mukhopadhyay Eur. Biophys. J. 2016
27. "Conformational Switching and Nanoscale Assembly of Human Prion Protein into Polymorphic Amyloids via Structurally Labile Oligomers" V. Dalal, S. Arya, M. Bhattacharya & S. Mukhopadhyay Biochemistry, 2015, 54, 7505-13.
27. "Appearance of Annular Ring-like Intermediates during Amyloid Fibril Formation from Human Serum Albumin" S. Arya, A. Kumari, V. Dalal, M. hattacharya & S. Mukhopadhyay Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2015, 17, 22862-22871.
26. "Ordered Water within the Collapsed Globules of an Amyloidogenic Intrinsically Disordered Protein" S. Arya & S. Mukhopadhyay J. Phys. Chem. B. 2014, 118, 9191–9198.
25. "Nanophotonics of Protein Amyloids" M. Bhattacharya & S. Mukhopadhyay Nanophotonics 2014, 3, 51-59.
24. "Structural and Dynamical Insights into the Membrane-bound α-Synuclein" N. Jain, K. Bhasne, M. Hemaswasthi & S. Mukhopadhyay PLoS ONE 2013, 8(12):e83752.
23. "Nanoscale Optical Imaging of Amyloid Fibrils" V. Dalal, S. Arya & S. Mukhopadhyay in 'Bionanoimaging: Protein Misfolding & Aggregation' (Elsevier 2013 Editors: Y. Lyubchenko & V. Uversky).
22. "Dynamics and Dimension of an Amyloidogenic Disordered State of Human β2-Microglobulin" D. Narang, P.K. Sharma & S. Mukhopadhyay. Eur. Biophys. J. 2013, 42, 767-76.
21. "Nanoscopic Amyloid Pores Formed via Stepwise Protein Assembly" M. Bhattacharya, N. Jain, P. Dogra, S. Samai & S. Mukhopadhyay. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2013, 4, 480-85. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jz3019786
20. "Nanoscale Fluorescence Imaging of Single Amyloid Fibrils" V. Dalal, M. Bhattacharya, D. Narang, P.K. Sharma & S. Mukhopadhyay. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2012, 3, 1783-1787 (DOI: 10.1021/jz300687f; http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jz300687f)
Follow the link for video slideshare: http://pubs.acs.org/iapps/liveslides/pages/index.htm?mscNo=jz300687f
19. "Conserved features of intermediates in amyloid assembly determine their benign or toxic states" R. Krishnan,† J.L. Goodman,† S. Mukhopadhyay,† C.D. Pacheco, E.A. Lemke, A.A. Deniz & S. Lindquist. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012. doi:10.1073/pnas.1209527109.
† These authors contributed equally to this work.
18. "Structural and Dynmical Insights into the Molten-Globule form of Ovalbumin" M. Bhattacharya and S. Mukhopadhyay. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2012, 116, 520-531. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp208416d
17. "Chain Collapse of an Amyloidogenic Intrinsically Disordered Protein" N. Jain, M. Bhattacharya and S. Mukhopadhyay. Biophys. J. 2011, 101, 1720-1729. http://www.cell.com/biophysj/retrieve/pii/S0006349511009702
Featured in Faculty of 1000 http://f1000.com/13409028
16. "Insights into the Mechanism of Aggregation and Fibril Formation from Bovine Serum Albumin" M. Bhattacharya, N. Jain and S. Mukhopadhyay. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2011, 115, 4195–4205. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp111528c
15. "Studying Protein Misfolding and Aggregation using Fluorescence Spectroscopy" M. Bhattacharya and S.Mukhopadhyay* Reviews in Fluorescence 2011 (Invited review and will be published soon).
14. "pH-induced Conformational Isomerization of Bovine Serum Albumin Studied by Extrinsic and Intrinsic Protein Fluorescence" M. Bhattacharya, N. Jain, K. Bhasne, V. Kumari and S. MukhopadhyayJournal of Fluorescence 2011, 21, 1083-1090.
13. "Kinetics of Surfactant-induced Aggregation of Lysozyme Studied by Fluorescence Spectroscopy" N. Jain, M. Bhattacharya and S. Mukhopadhyay. Journal of Fluorescence 2011, 21, 615-625.
12. "Direct and Selective Elimination of Specific Prions and Amyloids by 4,5-Dianilinophthalimide and Analogs" H. Wang, M.L. Duennwald, B.E. Roberts, L.M. Rozeboom, Y.L. Zhang, A.D. Steele, R. Krishnan, L.J. Su, D. Griffin, S. Mukhopadhyay, E.J. Hennessy, P. Weigele, B.J. Blanchard, J. King, A.A. Deniz, S.L. Buchwald, V.M. Ingram, S. Lindquist and J. Shorter. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2008, 105, 7159-7164. http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/105/20/7159
11. "Single-Molecule Biophysics: At the Interface of Biology, Physics and Chemistry" A.A. Deniz, S. Mukhopadhyay and E.A. Lemke J. R. Soc. Interface 2008, 5, 15-45. http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/content/0x116338np247206/fulltext.pdf
Among the most read articles at JRSI
10. "A natively unfolded yeast prion monomer adopts an ensemble of collapsed and rapidly fluctuating structures" S. Mukhopadhyay, R. Krishnan, E. A. Lemke, S. Lindquist and A.A. Deniz. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2007, 104, 2649-2654. http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/104/8/2649.pdf
(Featured in Scripps News & Views and cited over 120 times)
9. "Biomolecular structure and dynamics using fluorescence from single diffusing molecules" S. Mukhopadhyay and A.A. Deniz. J. Fluorescence 2007, 17, 775-783.http://www.springerlink.com/content/f251382u545551v2/fulltext.pdf
8. "Characterization of amyloid fibril formation by mapping residue-specific fluorescence dynamics" S. Mukhopadhyay, P. Nayak, J. B. Udgaonkar and G. Krishnamoorthy. J. Mol. Biol. 2006, 358, 935-942. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2006.02.006
7. "Advances in Molecular Hydrogels" S. Bhattacharya, U. Maitra, S. Mukhopadhyay, A. Srivastava in "Molecular Gels" 2006. P. Terech, R.G. Weiss (Eds.) Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands. http://www.springerlink.com/content/w3282465784v7036/
6. "Structure and Dynamics of a Molecular Hydrogel" S. Mukhopadhyay, Uday Maitra, Ira, G. Krishnamoorthy, J. Scmidt and Y. Talmon J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 15905-15914. http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/article.cgi/jacsat/2004/126/i48/pdf/ja046788t.pdf
5. "Facile Synthesis, Aggregation Behavior, and Cholesterol Solubilization of Avicholic Acid" S. Mukhopadhyay and U. Maitra. Organic Lett. 2004, 6, 31-34. http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/article.cgi/orlef7/2004/6/i01/pdf/ol036073f.pdf
4. "Chemistry and Biology of Bile Acids: A Review" S. Mukhopadhyay and U. Maitra Curr. Sci. 2004, 87, 1666-1683. http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/dec252004/1666.pdf
3. "Dynamics of Bound Dyes in a Non-polymeric Aqueous Gel Derived from a Tripodal Bile Salt" S. Mukhopadhyay, Ira, G. Krishnamoorthy and U. Maitra. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2003, 107, 2189-2192. http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/article.cgi/jpcbfk/2003/107/i10/pdf/jp027079+.pdf
2. "Hydrogel Route to Nanotubes of Metal Oxides and Sulfates" G. Gundiah, S. Mukhopadhyay, U.G. Tumkurkar, A. Govindaraj, U. Maitra and C.N.R. Rao. J. Mater. Chem. 2003, 13, 2118-2122. http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/Journals/JM/article.asp?doi=b304007k
1. "Hydrophobic Pockets in a Non-polymeric Aqueous Gel: Observation of such a Gelation Process by Color Change" U. Maitra, S. Mukhopadhyay, A. Sarkar, P. Rao and S.S. Indi. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2001, 40, 2281-2283. (Cited over 120 times).