1. Product Description: In addition to sterilization and steady cleaning, disinfection is the most important necessity in the field of medical treatment for avoiding infections and interrupting bacterial transfer of infectious and contagions diseases. A range of disinfectants are developed to cope with medical, clinical or surgical requirements. Many of them are on alcoholic basis with additional inhibitors for a specific use. For example, skin disinfectants must be microbicide, quick drying, un greasing and in general suitable to patients and health personnel regarding small, fluid, etc. A typical skin disinfectant is composed of ethanol (80%) demineralized water (20%) and total chemicals (0.1%). Hand washing lotions usually consist of about 65% demineralized water, 15% chemicals and 20% solid additions.
2. Market Potential: All type of disinfectants used in health institutions, in hotels and restaurants, in homes and in other places are imported. The volume of annual imports of the different types of disinfectants is estimated to be in the range of 40,000 to 60,000 tons. Most of these disinfectants are used in the country’s health institutions. The demand for disinfectants is closely tied with the expansion of health care facilities, modern hotels and restaurants and in general with improvement in the health standards of the population. Factors which increase the demands for disinfectants have been growing during the last 10 to 15 years; and this creates a need for producing some of the most widely used disinfectants here at home.
3. Source of Raw materials: The main ingredients for producing disinfectants are ethanol, total chemicals, solid soap additives, demineralized water and granulate PE for bottles. Except water, the other ingredients will be imported.
4. Process and Technology: The production process of disinfectants has three main stages. These are water treatment, preparation of the disinfectant solutions and filling, closing and packaging, (If the plastic bottles are to be produced within the disinfectant making factory, this constitutes another production process.) The manufacture of disinfectants depends to a great extent on the appropriately prepared water component. Therefore a full demineralization treatment has to be carried out. Such treatment includes prefiltration, active carbon filtration, sterile filtration and demineralization via ion exchanger (anion/cation columns). Proper storage before entering the solution preparation is provided by a suitable storage tank. Preparation of the disinfectant solutions involves melting and mixing of the ingredients and feeding them in to the main preparation tank for final mixing. Other components like alcohol, easy-soluble chemicals and demineralized water are filled directly into the main preparation tank for mixing. Finally the product is fed to a filling machine under a specific level of pressure. An exhaust system should be installed above the filling machine to withdraw the fumes by suction. After closing and labeling the bottles will be packed and cardboard boxes for delivery.
5. Estimated Investment: For a plant which will produce 400,000 liters of disinfectants per year, the investment cost will be:-
Total = Birr 15,200,000
6. Benefits: Similar to other projects.
7. Location: Combolcha