Department of Computer Science,
My broad area of research interests is in theoretical computer science. I completed my PhD from the department of computer science, University of Chicago in 2012, under the supervision of Julia Chuzhoy (at TTI-C) and Janos Simon.
After my Ph.D, I did a short (and yet very pleasant) postdoc at IDSIA. Afterwards, I spent 3.5 years rising from a postdoc to a senior researcher at Max Planck Institute for Informatics. I started assistant professorship at Aalto in August 2016.
I was a recipient of Simons-Berkeley Research Fellowship in 2017, attending the great 'jumbo' program on Bridging Continuous and Discrete Optimization. From 2018, my research has been generously supported by A Starting Grant from European Research Council (ERC) and Academy of Finland Research Fellowship. At least until mid 2023, there will occasionally be opening positions in my research group.
Highly motivated students and postdocs in TCS are strongly encouraged to contact me any time. Finland is a great country to live in!!
Click on the publications tab to see more about my research.
- I will be a PC member of SODA 2021 and ICALP 2021.
- I am giving an invited keynote talk at Lorentz Workshop on Fixed Parameter Computational Geometry.
May 2020(moved to May 2021)
- I am on SWAT 2020 PC. Submit your papers and go enjoy Faroe Islands!
- I am on ICALP 2019 (Track A) program committee. Please submit your excellent papers there!
- Dagstuhl's seminar on Parameterized Complexity. January 2019
See Old news for more.
In Spring 2021, I will teach 2 courses on Computational Complexity and Combinatorics.
At Aalto, I have taught Principles of Algorithmic Techniques (x3) and Combinatorics (x3).
I have (or had) fun working with the following students (in reverse chronological order of starting date of supervision)
- Ly Orgo
- Sorrachai Yingchareonthawornchai (joint with D. Nanongkai)
- Nidia Obscura Acosta
- Ameet Gadekar (joint with C. Brzuska)
- Wanchote Jiamjitrak
- Daniel Vaz (joint with K. Mehlhorn), PhD 2020? Now a postdoc at TU Munich.
- Andreas Schmid (joint with K. Mehlhorn), PhD 2019. Now a postdoc at Montpellier.
PC Membership: I have served (or will serve) on the following PC: ICALP 2021, SODA 2021, SWAT 2020, ICALP 2019, APPROX 2018, ISAAC 2017, ESA 2016, FUN 2016, FSTTCS 2016, APPROX 2015.
Organizational Committee: ALGO 2018 (joint with Petteri Kaski and Jukka Suomela, and ADFOCS 2014. With Andreas Karrenbauer.
Address: Konemiehentie 2, Espoo/Otaniemi, 02150, Finland. B305.
Email: Aalto e-mail always follows the format firstname dot lastname at aalto.fi. My first name is the one that starts with P.