Welcome to my personal homepage!
I am a Theoretical Physicist trained in Computer Science. I develop computational methods for inference, modelling, simulation and analysis of complex systems representable as dynamical networks.
I am focused on the mathematical formalization and the algorithmic procedures implementing efficient solutions for the identiafiability, the controllability, and the dynamics simulation of such systems.
The main goals of my research are
- to understand the functional organization governing time and space evolution of such systems and predict their response to stimuli and perturbations
- to unravel the mechanisms responsible for their emergent properties.
The main applicative domains of my studies are network biology, biochemistry, biological physics, microbiology, and synthetic biology.
As Senior Member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), New York, USA, I am contributing to the organization and promotion of the scientific events of ACM in the fields of computational biology, artificial intelligence and applied computing.
CALL FOR PAPERS
Network-Oriented Approaches to Anticancer Drug Response. Special Isue on Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology
Special Session on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology – BCB2019 Da Nang, Vietnam October 24-26, 2019.
Bionformatics and Computational Biology Track of The 35th ACM/SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing, Brno, Czech Republic, March 30 - April 3, 2020.
P. Lecca, A. Re, Theoretical Physics for Biological Systems, CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
Recent and upcoming talks
P. Lecca (speaker), M. Bertini, R. Vicentini, E. Pintani, C. D’Orazio, V. Esposito, K. Kleinfelder, C. Sorio, P. Melotti, Multilinear Regression Analysis of Sweat Secretion Volumes in Cystic Fibrosis, Proceedings of FRUCT 23, Bologna (Italy), 13-16 November 2018 (paper available here).
P. Lecca (speaker), A. Re, Phase-space analysis of chaotic deterministic dynamics with Python: the case of biological systems with many degrees of freedom, EuroSciPy 11th European Conference on Python in Science 2018, Fondazione Bruno Kessler, 28-29 August 2018, Italy.
P. Lecca (speaker), M. Lecca, S. Caldrer, A. Baruzzi, C. Sorio, P. Melotti, CORVO: a software tool for computing volume of complex biological structures in medical images and videos, SIAM Conference on Imaging Science, June 5-8, 2018, Bologna, Italy.
- P. Lecca, A. Re, Analysis of observability of bacterial growth models, Proceedings of CIBB 2019 - 16th International Conference on Computational Intelligence methods for Bioinformatics and Biostatistics, pp. 293-298, 2019.
- P. Lecca, A. Re, Identifying necessary and sufficient conditions for the observability of models of biochemical processes, Biophysical Chemistry, 254: 106257, 2019 (here) .
- A. Re, P. Lecca, Determining structural parameter identifiability in biological dynamical models by analysing the statistical properties of the likelihood behaviour, 2019 IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (here).
Recent publications included in eBooks
Article published in the eBook edited by Spyros Petrakis, Miguel A. Andrade-Navarro: "Protein interaction networks in health and disease".
Article published in the eBook edited by Imrich Barak, Neil Fairweather, Simon Michael Cutting, Ezio Ricca, Ivan Mijakovic: "Spores and spore formers".
Important recent and forthcoming events
- Special Session on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology – BCB2019 Da Nang, Vietnam October 24-26, 2019
- CMBBE 2019: The 16th International Symposium on Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering and 4th Conference on Imaging and Visualization, 14 - 16 August 2019, New York City, United States
- International Conference VIPIMAGE - VII ECCOMAS Thematic Confernece on Computational Vision and Medical Image processing, October 16-18, 2019, Porto, Portugal.
- ACM SAC CONFERENCE TRACK ON BIOINFORMATICS (BIO) 2019, Limassol, Cyprus, 8-12 April 2019
Thesis available (click here for more information).