No 489 Squadron: a mini History

No 489 Torpedo Bomber Squadron 

No 489 Squadron Badge No 489 Squadron was formed at Leuchars on 12 August 1941 in the torpedo bomber role, it was intended to be equipped with Beauforts. As these were slow in arriving  the squadron used Blenheims IVs . In March, 1942, 489's first operational aircraft (Hampden torpedo bombers) arrived. The squadron moved south to Thorney Island,  with detachments at Wick and St Eval. From August 1942, No 489 Squadron was based at Skitten, where it carried out anti-submarine patrols, reconnaissance flights over Norway and torpedo attacks against E-boats and other surface shipping.  

In October 1943, 489 returned to Leuchars, where it re-equipped with Beaufighters. It recommenced operations in January 1944. In April 1944, it went south to Langham in Norfolk, where as a part of the ANZAC wing, it supported D Day preparation and operations along the Dutch, North German and French coasts. In October, 1944 the ANZAC Wing re-located to Dallachy in Scotland, from where it operated along the Norwegian coast  until the end of the war.

In June 1945, 489 Squadron moved to Banff  to reequip with Mosquito FB 6s, for redeployement in the Japanese theatre. However, before it could become operational with Mosquitos, 489 Squadron disbanded on 1 August 1945.

Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
Jun 30, 2013, 2:23 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
May 16, 2013, 2:44 PM
ą
489.Squadron Association,
Mar 25, 2015, 7:55 PM
ĉ
489.Squadron Association,
Mar 25, 2015, 8:00 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
Aug 11, 2014, 3:40 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
May 14, 2013, 2:39 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
Oct 23, 2014, 11:22 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
Jun 3, 2013, 6:46 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
May 18, 2015, 4:36 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
May 16, 2013, 6:48 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
May 27, 2013, 11:48 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
May 16, 2013, 6:49 PM
Ċ
489.Squadron Association,
May 16, 2013, 6:49 PM
Comments