I am interested in Bioinformatics applied to the Evolutionary and Genetic Analysis at the Molecular and Population levels. My areas of research include Population Genetics, Genetic Diversity, Molecular Evolution, Molecular Adaptation, Phylogenetics and Phylogenomics. Indeed, I am also interested in the study of the influence of evolution on the structure and function of biological macromolecules.
1. Arenas, M.; Weber, C.C.; Liberles, D. and Bastolla, U. 2017. ProtASR: An Evolutionary Framework for Ancestral Protein Reconstruction with Selection on Folding Stability. Systematic Biology, in press.
2. Alves, I.; Arenas, M.; Currat, M.; Sramkova Hanulova, A.; Sousa, V.C.; Ray, N. and Excoffier, L. 2016. Long-Distance Dispersal Shaped Patterns of Human Genetic Diversity in Eurasia. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 33(4):946-958. pdf
3. Arenas, M.; Lorenzo-Redondo, R. and Lopez-Galindez, C. 2016. Influence of mutation and recombination on HIV-1 in vitro fitness recovery. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 94:264–270. pdf
4. Lopez-Bueno, A.; Rastrojo, A.; Peiro, R.; Arenas, M. and Alcami A. 2015. Ecological connectivity shapes quasispecies structure of RNA viruses in an Antarctic lake. Molecular Ecology, 24(19):4812–4825. "From the Cover" article. pdf
5. Arenas, M.; Sanchez-Cobos, A. and Bastolla, U. 2015. Maximum-Likelihood Phylogenetic Inference with Selection on Protein Folding Stability. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 32(8):2195-2207. pdf
6. Arenas, M.; Lopes, J.S.; Beaumont, M.A. and Posada, D. 2015. CodABC: A Computational Framework to Coestimate Recombination, Substitution and Molecular Adaptation Rates by Approximate Bayesian Computation. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 32(4):1109-1112. pdf
7. Arenas, M. and Posada, D. 2014. Simulation of Genome-Wide Evolution under Heterogeneous Substitution Models and Complex Multispecies Coalescent Histories. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 31(5):1295-1301. pdf
2014. Visiting Scientist. University of Wyoming, Laramie (USA). David Liberles Lab.
2012 - 2015. PostDoc at the Centre for Molecular Biology "Severo Ochoa", CSIC (Spain). Ugo Bastolla Lab (Bioinformatics Unit).
2010 - 2012.PostDoc at the University of Bern (Switzerland). Laurent Excoffier Lab (CMPG Lab).
2010.PostDoc at the University of Vigo (Spain). David Posada Lab (Phylogenomics Lab).
2009. Visiting Scientist. University of Reading, Reading (UK). Mark Beaumont Lab. 2008. Visiting Scientist. Brigham Young University, Utah (USA). Keith A. Crandall Lab. 2007. Visiting Scientist. Instituto de Salud Carlos III (ISCIII), Madrid (Spain). Cecilio Lopez Galindez Lab. 2005 - 2010. PhD Thesis. University of Vigo (Spain).Cum Laude (highest score). Supervised by Prof David Posada (Phylogenomics Lab). 26/02/2010. Thesis Award (best Thesis of the University of Vigo in 2010).
2003 - 2005. MSc in Organic Chemistry. University of Santiago de Compostela (Spain). 2003 - 2004. Graduate in Chemistry.University of Santiago de Compostela (Spain). 1997 - 2003. BSc in Chemistry. University of Santiago de Compostela (Spain).
ASSOCIATE EDITOR - REVIEWER
- Associate Editor of Journals American Journal of Computational Biology; American Journal of Molecular Evolution; Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution; Frontiers in Genetics; Frontiers in Plant Science.
- Reviewer of Journals Bioinformatics; BMC Bioinformatics; BMC Evolutionary Biology; Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal; Diversity and Distributions; Enzyme Engineering; Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution; Frontiers in Genetics; Gene; G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics; Heredity; Human Heredity; Infection, Genetics and Evolution; International Journal of Biodiversity and Conservation; Journal of Advanced Techniques in Biology and Medicine; Journal of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology; Journal of Medical Microbiology; Journal of Molecular Evolution; Microbial Genomics; Molecular Ecology; Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution; Molecules; PLoS Computational Biology; PLoS ONE; Proceedings of the Royal Society B; Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology; The Scientific World Journal.
- Reviewer of Research Projects for 2017 - National Agency of Scientific Evaluation of Spain [Agencia Nacional de Evaluación y Prospectiva (ANEP)]. Government of Spain. Spain. 2016 - BiodivERsA "The network programming and funding research on biodiversity and ecosystem services across European countries and territories". ERA-NET Co-fund, funded under the EU’s Horizon 2020 Framework Programme for Research and Innovation. 2016 - National Science Centre of Poland. Government of Poland. Poland. 2015 - DC CFAR "Public Research Body for AIDS Research". Washington, DC, USA.