- Version 6.617 is available now (download). This fixes an important bug in the node-level regression routine. It also fixes a bug in the matrix editor. If you are able to, it is worth installing this version for the workshop.
Contact Connie Blakemore and let her know. She will act as a clearing house to match people who are looking. As always, you can find contact info on our Contact
- Rather than send mass emails, I will generally communicate with participants via this website, so please check the announcements page, and particularly the pre-arrival post (this page), which will be updated as needed over time
Communicating with other participants
Hardware and software
- If you would like to exchange email with other participants, one way to do it is to join the Google group. To join, click the Google Group tab above.
- Another way to communicate is via Twitter. The official hashtag for the workshop is #Links16.
- Remember to bring a laptop!
- Make sure it is capable of wifi! (so you can download datasets generated during the workshop)
- We strongly recommend downloading and installing the software used in your workshop now to make sure it runs on your laptop. Most of the modules use UCINET, and it is helpful if everyone has a recent version. Current version is 6.617.You can download UCINET here:
- Please install the 32-bit version, not the 64-bit version
- After installation run this installation exercise to make sure is working ok
- Mac and Linux users: Please note UCINET is Windows software only. See this FAQ for more information.
- The Stochastic Models track uses different software. Click here for more information
- If you click on the link for any module, you'll see a list of any readings the instructor has recommended. Some of these are books, so you might want to order now
Dress and weather
Airport and Accommodations
- Dress at the workshop is extremely casual
- It's normally hot and humid outside, but the session rooms can be on the chilly side for some, so packing a light jacket might come in handy
- Best way to get from LEX airport to your accommodation is a cab. Takes about 15 minutes.
- If you are staying in University housing, you can get your key anytime -- it is open 24 hours. But you might want to check ahead of time with UK housing to find out exactly where to go.
- UK Housing Location: Champions Court I, University of Kentucky, 344 South Martin Luther King Boulevard, Lexington, KY 40526. Summer Conference Housing contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or front desk # for Champions Court 1 is 859-629-3777. You will call this number when you arrive to be let in the front doors of Champions Court I. The email address is more efficient than the phone number if you have questions.
- You will be able to check-in and get your suite key when you arrive. Be sure to call the number, 859-629-3777. For security protection, the doors will be locked but someone will be at the front to let you in. Suggestion: You might want to check ahead of time with UK Housing to find out exactly where to go.
- For more details regarding the Champions Court I Suites, please check the Accommodations web page.
- Parking for Champions Court I guests please contact UK Parking Special Events, Brandy Reynolds, at email@example.com 859-257-9680 to obtain parking information and maps. Be sure to contact Parking at least a week before the Workshop. Parking Offices will be closed on the weekends.
Sunday night outing
In case of trouble
- For those that around on Sunday evening (5:30-7:30pm), TAs will be hanging out at Buffalo Wild Wings (1080 South Broadway Suite 104 Lexington, KY), which is by the Holiday Inn Express. They will be wearing blue polo shirts with the LINKS insignia
- Visit our contact page for information on who to call
None of our workshops assume any readings, but if you want to get a head start on the material, click on one of the modules and you will find a list of recommended readings.
Three of the workshops recommend this book, available on Amazon or Sage:
In addition, you may be interested in this recent volume:
- Brass, D.J., Labianca, G., Mehra, A., Halgin, D.S., and Borgatti, S.P., (Eds.) Research in the Sociology of Organizations. Volume 40. Emerald Publishing: Bradford, UK.