Guiding Questions for Dummett's "Truth"
1. Describe the popular account of truth deriving from Frege Dummett is talking about at the beginning of the paper. Why can’t it rank as a definition in the strict sense? What’s the function of the word “that” in this context?
2. Why is this popular account incompatible with the possibility of there being sentences which express propositions but are neither true nor false?
3. Why can’t the notion of truth given by the redundancy theory play an essential role in an account of meaning?
4. Why should the correspondence theory be abandoned? What was right about it?
5. What is Jones’ example supposed to show?
6. When are we in a position to assert that P or not P according to realism about truth?
7. How does Dummett describe his own account of meaning? What’s its relation with intuitionism in mathematics?
8. Why does Dummett abandon the attempt to explain the meaning of a statement by laying down its truth-conditions?
9. What’s the conception of the world that Putnam seems to favour?