I am a Research Affiliate at the Office of Tax Policy Research at the University of Michigan. My research interests are in taxation, labor, and public policy. I received my Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Michigan in 2010, and my B.A. from Occidental College in 2002. Between 2010 and 2016, I was a financial economist in the Office of Tax Analysis at the U.S. Department of Treasury. I reside in Arlington, VA.
For more information, please see my CV.
- "How Income Changes During Unemployment: Evidence from Tax Return Data."
With Sara LaLumia. Journal of Human Resources, forthcoming.
- "How Do Corporate Tax Bases Change When Corporate Tax Rates Change? With Implications for Tax Rate Elasticities."
With Joel Slemrod. International Tax and Public Finance, 23(3), 401–433, June 2016.
- "Taxpayer Confusion: Evidence from the Child Tax Credit."
With Naomi Feldman and Peter Katuscak. American Economic Review, 106(3), 807-35, Mar. 2016.
- "The Dividend Clientele Hypothesis: Evidence from the 2003 Tax Act,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 6(1), 114-36, Feb. 2014.
- "A Re-Balancing Act? Understanding Patterns in Refunds and Balances Due"
With Shanthi Ramnath and Patricia K. Tong. National Tax Association Proceedings from the 105th Annual Conference, National Tax Journal, Nov. 2012.
- "Another Look at Taxpayer Responses to the 1993 Act"
With Gerald Auten. National Tax Association Proceedings from the 104th Annual Conference, National Tax Journal, Nov. 2011.
Works in Progress
- "Determinants of Young Adult Outcomes: An Examination of Random Shocks to Children in Military Families"
With Bruce Sacerdote, William Skimmyhorn and Michael Stevens.
- "Variation in the Added Worker Effect."
With Sara LaLumia and Shanthi Ramnath
- "Estimating the Elasticity of Broad Income in the Presence of Income Growth and Volatility."
With Caroline Weber and Andrew Whitten.
- "Do Publicly-Traded Firms Invest Myopically? Evidence from U.S. Tax Returns."
With Naomi Feldman, Elena Patel, Nirupama Rao, and Jesse Edgerton.
- "Unemployment Insurance and Worker Mobility."
With Ben Klemmens and Ryan Nunn.
- "Means-Tested Programs and Parental Labor Supply: Evidence from Step-Up for Students."
With David Figlio and Shanthi Ramnath.
Other Work and Old Working Papers
University of Maryland, Master's in Applied Economics Program
Program Analysis and Evaluation: Winter 2015, Summer 2015
Wharton Business School, University of Pennsylvania (as visiting professor, Business Economics and Public Policy)
Risk Management (Module I): Fall 2013
Intro to Business Economics and Public Policy (Part II: Taxation): Fall 2013
University of Michigan (Graduate student instructor)
Introduction to Econometrics: Fall 2009, Fall 2008, Fall 2007University of Michigan (Instructor)
Graduate Econometrics II: Winter 2009
Statistics for Economists: Winter 2008
Introduction to Microeconomics: Fall 2007, Winter 2008
Introduction to Microeconomics: Summer 2008