Lockwood, Francis Arden
Born: Los Angeles, California
University of Washington, Bachelor of Architecture, 1941.
Duckering and Lockwood, Santa Cruz, California 1948-1949
Francis A. Lockwood, Santa Cruz and Berkeley, California 1949-1962
Lockwood and Darrow, Santa Cruz, California, 1955-1962
Apaydin, Angellin and Lockwood, Berkeley, California, 1962-1991
Angellin and Lockwood, Berkeley, California, 1991-unknown
Born in Los Angeles, California, architect Francis A. Lockwood was educated at the University of Washington where he obtained his Bachelor of Architecture in 1941. He practiced in Southern California for about five years before arriving in Santa Cruz in 1947-1948. He initially worked for L.R. Duckering, whom with he entered into partnership during November of 1948. The firm’s most well-known project during this period was the Buick Automobile Dealership on Front Street in Downtown Santa Cruz.
Lockwood soon formed his in own firm in Santa Cruz, and was recognized early during his career as a proponent of modern Ranch style architecture, with residential projects profiled in Sunset and House Beautiful magazines. He lectured in the Santa Cruz area on the value of modern architecture. He was identified as one of a group of 30 creative young architects of the period in a San Francisco Museum of Art exhibit in 1949, architects who would later be identified with the Bay Tradition II, a regional movement in modern architecture.
During the early 1950s, Lockwood was commissioned for a number of Santa Cruz area projects, including houses in Pasatiempo, church work such as Trinity Presbyterian and the Church of Nazarene, the Felton Fire Hall, Big Tree Park Curio Shop, and the expansion projects for Scotts Valley Elementary School. About 1955 he relocated his practice to Berkeley, but maintained an office in Santa Cruz where he collaborated with architect Kermit L. Darrow. With Darrow he was hired by the City of Santa Cruz to expand their C.J. Ryland-designed City Hall. The City of Santa Cruz also retained them to design their new downtown branch library facility, but after years of unsuccessful planning, the firm and the city severed their relationship in 1964.
In Berkeley in 1962, Lockwood joined with architects Kaya Apaydin and Eugene F. Angellin to establish a new firm of Apaydin, Angell and Lockwood.That same year he was elected President of the East Bay Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. From Berkeley, he continued to provide architectural services in Santa Cruz County, designing the Brook Knoll School in Pasatiempo, the Boulder Creek and Quail Hollow Schools in San Lorenzo Valley, and his continued work with Scotts Valley Elementary School District, of which he maintained a 16 year relationship as their District architect from 1951-1967. District ©FMAGGI2015
Duckering & Lockwood
Buick Auto Dealership, Santa Cruz, 1949. (Santa Cruz Sentinel sketch)
Francis. A. Lockwood
Trinity Presbyterian Church, Santa Cruz, 1951.
Jungeneel House, Pasatiempo, 1951.
Church of Nazarene, Morrissey Blvd. & Gualt St., Santa Cruz, 1952.
Big Trees Park Curio Shop, Santa Cruz County, 1952.
Thal House, Pasatiempo, 1953 (featured in Sunset)
Gurnee Residence, 50 S. Circle Dr., Pasatiempo, 1954.
Lockwood and Darrow
Santa Cruz City Hall Expansion, Santa Cruz, 1956.
Apydin, Angellin, & Lockwood
Brook Knoll School, Pasatiempo, 1967.
Boulder Creek School, Boulder Creek, (date not verified)
Quail Hollow School, Ben Lomond (date not verified)
Chase, John. The Sidewalk Companion to Santa Cruz, 3rd Edition, 2005.
Dailey, Gardner. Domestic Architecture of the Bay Region Catalogue. San Francisco Museum of Art Exhibition, 1949.
Santa Cruz Sentinel, 11/10/48, 1/23/49, 4/1/49, 2/2/51, 5/5/51, 11/25/52, 6/2/53, 8/17/53, 5/2/54, 3/28/57, 5/4/61,