Hickling Methodist Church
Methodism came to Hickling in the early nineteenth century. By 1834 there were two chapels in the village, one Wesleyan, and one Primitive. These eventually proved inadequate to house the two growing congregations, and bigger chapels were built for each branch of the Methodists. One of these (built for the Primitives) stood on Heath Road, and is said to have been built of clay from the adjacent Chapel Pit, which now has the aspect of a village pond. Storm damage to the building in 1881 necessitated its demolition, and it was replaced by the present church, the cornerstone being laid on 29th May 1882. In 1896 the schoolroom was added. When in 1932, the Deed of Union brought the Primitives and Wesleyans together, this church was chosen to house both congregations, and the Wesleyan Chapel at The Green was sold. It has since been demolished. Two of the earlier Methodist Chapel buildings have since been converted into houses, one in Stalham Road and one in Stubb Road.

Many improvements have since been made to the present Heath
 Road church, and its history can best be further revealed by reference to the special Church Newsletter, entitled “Glory Begun Below”, produced for the 125th Anniversary by Rodney Wicks, a dedicated member of the Methodist Church and an active History Group member. That document is reproduced here for you, please see below. 

Additional research was carried out by members of the History Group, and over the years, two field meetings were arranged, highlighting the history of Methodism in Hickling. The Group visited the Heath Road church in July 2001 (see Field Meeting Note No. 5.) and again in December 2008, when we enjoyed a talk abut the beginnings of Methodism, and its arrival in Hickling. (see Field Meeting Note No. 34 “Methodism in Hickling”).

Click on the Links (in Red) below to view:

Glory Begun Below - Special 125th anniversary edition of the Church Newsletter

Field Meeting No: 34 - Methodism in Hickling

Field Meeting No: 05 - Stubb Road & The Methodist Chapel.