Download Research Papers
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
- Google Scholar
- ResearcherID & Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI)
- When nudges are forever: Inertia in the Swedish Premium Pension Plan, with Richard H. Thaler and Frank Yu, 2018, AEA Papers & Proceedings 108, 153-158.
- Shaped by their daughters: Executives, female socialization, and corporate social responsibility, with Frank Yu, 2017, Journal of Financial Economics 126, 543-562.
- Featured in Harvard Business Review.
- Languages and corporate savings behavior, with Shimin Chen, Serene Ni, and Frank Zhang, 2017, Journal of Corporate Finance 46, 320-341.
- Best Paper Award in Finance, Accounting & Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, 2016.
- The fetal origins hypothesis in finance: Prenatal environment, the gender gap, and investor behavior, with Alessandro Previtero, Stephan Siegel, and Roderick E. White, 2016, Review of Financial Studies 29, 739-786.
- Value versus growth investing: Why do different investors have different styles?, with Stephan Siegel and Frank Yu, 2015, Journal of Financial Economics 117, 333-349.
- The origins of savings behavior, with Stephan Siegel, 2015, Journal of Political Economy 123, 123-169.
- The genetics of investment biases, with Stephan Siegel, 2014, Journal of Financial Economics 113, 215-234.
- Outstanding Paper Award, National Taiwan University International Conference on Finance, 2012.
- Faculty Research Award of the Betty F. Elliott Initiative for Academic Excellence awarded annually by the College of Business at the University of Michigan - Dearborn, 2011.
- Genetics, homeownership, and home location choice, with Florian Münkel and Stephan Siegel, 2014, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 48, 79-111.
- Best Paper Award in category "Innovative Thinking -- Thinking Out of the Box," American Real Estate Society (award sponsored by the Maury Seldin Advanced Studies Institute), 2012.
- CEO contract design: How do strong principals do it?, with Rüdiger Fahlenbrach, 2013, Journal of Financial Economics 108, 659-674.
- Behavioral consistency in corporate finance: CEO personal and corporate leverage, with Anil K. Makhija and Scott E. Yonker, 2012, Journal of Financial Economics 103, 20-40.
- Best Paper Award, Mitsui Finance Symposium, University of Michigan, Stephen M. Ross School of Business, 2010.
- Estimating the effects of large shareholders using a geographic instrument, with Bo Becker and Rüdiger Fahlenbrach, 2011, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 46, 907-942. (Lead article.)
- Nature or nurture: What determines investor behavior?, with Amir Barnea and Stephan Siegel, 2010, Journal of Financial Economics, 98, 583-604.
- Best Paper in category "Investments," Financial Management Association's Annual Meeting, 2010.
- Yihong Xia Best Paper Award, China International Conference in Finance, 2010.
- Best Paper Award, The Rothschild Caesarea Center Annual Conference on "Recent Advances in Financial Economics Research,'' The Arison School of Business, Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Herzliya, Israel, 2010.
- Large shareholders and corporate policies, with Rüdiger Fahlenbrach, 2009, Review of Financial Studies 22, 3941-3976.
- Do entrenched managers pay their workers more?, with Fredrik Heyman, Mattias Nilsson, Helena Svaleryd, and Jonas Vlachos, 2009, Journal of Finance 64, 309-339.
- Best Paper Award, Financial Management Association (European meeting), 2006.
- Research Award, Family Owned Business Institute, Grand Valley State University, 2005.
- The choice between rights offerings and private equity placements, with Mattias Nilsson, 2005, Journal of Financial Economics 78, 375-407.
- Design choices in privatized social-security systems: Learning from the Swedish experience, with Richard H. Thaler, 2004, American Economic Review 94, 424-428.
- Agency costs of controlling minority shareholders, with Mattias Nilsson, 2003, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 38, 695-719. (Lead article.)
- Why agency costs explain diversification discounts, with Peter Högfeldt and Mattias Nilsson, 2001, Real Estate Economics 29, 85-126.
Working Papers & Work in Progress
- Long-lasting effects of choice architecture and nudges in pension plans, with Richard H. Thaler and Frank Yu, 2018.
- In the red: The effects of color on investment behavior, with William J. Bazley and Milica Mormann, 2018.
- Featured in The Wall Street Journal.
- Does finance displace social networks?, with Mitch Warachka and Frank Yu, 2018.
- Corporate governance and the creation of the SEC, with Arevik Avedian and Marc D. Weidenmier, 2017.
- Outstanding Paper Award in category "Applied Corporate Finance," Midwest Finance Association's Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Salient experience of environmental disaster explains social responsibility attitudes later in life, with Meir Statman and Frank Yu, 2015.
- Persistence in firm policies, firm origin, and corporate culture: Evidence from corporate spin-offs, with Angie Low and Mattias Nilsson, 2009.
- Advertising and portfolio choice, 2006.
Electronic versions of published papers are provided as a professional courtesy to ensure timely dissemination of the research for individual non-commercial purposes. Copyright, and all other rights therein, reside with the respective copyright holders, as stated within each paper. These files may not be re-posted without permission.