NB: YOU ARE NOT TO COPY AND PASTE ANYTHING FROM THIS PAGE AS THIS WILL RESULT IN ZERO MARKS ON YOUR SBA.
Purpose of Study (as a question): What are the coastal features at Las Cuevas Bay, North Coast, Trinidad and which coastal processes contribute to their formation?
1. To identify the coastal features at Las Cuevas
2. To identify and explain the processes that have shaped these features
3. To explain how these these features may be influenced by such processes today
Location of study:
For the Location of study, you are to have THREE well drawn, well labelled maps.
1. Map of Trinidad showing location of study: this is a map of Trinidad with Key, Title, North sign, Scale. You are to HIGHLIGHT the area of study i.e. put a red dot (or whichever outstanding colour you have) on the area of study. Also show the water bodies around Trinidad, the three Ranges, Port of Spain and San Fernando.
2. Map of St. George's County highlighting Las Cuevas.
3. Street map of area (will be given as download)
NB: ALL MAPS ARE TO BE HANDDRAWN NOT PRINTED ON A COMPUTER!!
All maps are NOT DRAWN TO SCALE.
PLEASE WRITE THE METHODOLOGY IN YOUR OWN WORDS!!!
- Define Primary Data and Secondary Data
- Differentiate Quantitative and Qualitative Data
- Instruments used: ranging rods, paper and pen, camera, coloured pebbles, soft ball, ruler, measuring tape, callipers, recording sheets for wave frequency, wave height, wave direction.
- Students were divided into groups and given different aspects of the SBA to investigate.
- A section of the coastline was sketched; a beach profile was sketched; longshore drift was observed; rock structure observed, wave frequency was recorded, wave height was recorded, wave direction was recorded.
- 3 sites were chosen and the methodology was carried out
Date: Friday 23rd October, 2015
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon.
WHERE: Las Cuevas Bay, North Coast, Trinidad.
Presentation of Data
Beach width 21.2 metres
Weather: Sunny with partial cloud cover
Wind speed: 5 - 6 mph
Beach angle: Upslope angle: 1 degree Downslope angle: 2 degrees
Reading no. Wave height
1 60 cm
2 65 cm
3 60 cm
4 50 cm
5 47 cm
(8+8+7+5+9+6+6+6+5+6) divided by 10
Analysis and Discussion
Restate the aim of study as a sentence.
For this segment, DO NOT REPORT.
NB: STUDENTS ARE TO WRITE UP THE ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION IN THEIR OWN WORDS. ANY COPYING WILL RESULT IN ZERO. PLEASE DO NOT COPY AND PASTE FROM ANY WEB SITE, ALL WRITING SHOULD BE YOUR OWN!
Restate the aim of study
Summarize the findings of the SBA.
1. Bleasdell, Sheldon et al. CSEC New Integrated Geography Caribbean Educational Publishers 2008
2. Phillips Certificate Atlas for the Caribbean The Royal Geographical Society 2011
3. Rahil, Vohn A.M. Complete Geography Course for CSEC Caribbean Educational Publishers 2010
4. Wilson, Mark The Caribbean Environment Fourth Edition Oxford University Press 2012