About Us

Friends of Adlington Library (FoAL) was originally set up to run the Save Adlington Library campaign.

The FoAL Committee are a group of voluntees representing many aspects of life in Adlington and District. They are involved in local town and parish councils, the running of local community groups and societies and share a common interest in community cohesion and community learning. You'll find out more about us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

If you'd like to join Friends of Adlington Library email us: friendsofadlingtonlibrary@aol.com or Carolinephhe@aol.com

Adlington & District

Adlington is a small town and civil parish in Lancashire near the West Pennine Moors and the town of Chorley. Adlington became a separate parish in 1842 then grew into a town around the textile industry. It had a population of 7,326 at the 2011 census. The town forms part of Chorley Borough which has headquarters at the town hall in Chorley. The town is represented on the council by three councillors elected for the Adlington and Anderton ward.

Heath Charnock is a small village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire. According to the United Kingdom Census in 2001 it had a population of 2,065. Heath Charnock is next to Adlington and Anderton. The civil parish includes the hamlet of Limbrick.

Anderton is civil parish in the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire, 5 miles northwest of Bolton, Its eastern boundary is in the Rivington Reservoir. Grimeford village is in the parish. In 2001 the parish had a population of 1,206 increasing to 1,316 at the 2011 census.

Rivington is a small village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley, occupying 2,538 acres. It is about 6 miles (9.7 km) southeast of Chorley and about 8.5 miles (13.7 km) northwest of Bolton. Rivington is situated on the fringe of the West Pennine Moors, at the foot of Rivington Pike. According to the United Kingdom Census 2001 it had a population of 144.

History of Adlington Library

Adlington’s first library was opened on 5th October 1926 in St Philip’s Classroom off Railway Road. Within a decade it had relocated, 20 yards away, to within the St John Ambulance Hall.

During this period, there was in the region of 1,500 books available and the library was only open for a few hours once a week.

As demand grew and libraries became an integral part of communities, Adlington Urban District Council acquired land on Railway Road for the construction of a purpose-built library. Not one for having to move the books too far again, the chosen site was a little further back along Railway Road.

The library building was officially opened on 25th March 1964 and was stocked with 14,000 books in preparation for the first day of service to the public on 31st March.

The proceedings were opened by Mr G E Williams, chairman of the Horwich Regional Library Committee, and the building was declared open by Mr L M Fairclough, JP.

County Alderman L. Ball, JP, Chairman of the County Libraries’ Sub-Committee, formally handed over the library for the use of residents.

In turn, the library was accepted on behalf of the residents by Coun A Harper, JP, Chairman of Adlington Urban District Council.

Today, the library has been modernised and extended. It has developed from the quiet book-only venue, into an active, well resourced social hub.

A number of social organisations frequent the library and it is well used as a venue for public consultation, as well as educational and entertaining presentations.

The library as it is today

Save Adlington Library Campaign Read In

1964 Opening of Adlington Library

Late 1960s Adlington Library

Visit ARC Templates now!