BY-LAWS of the
Exeter West Greenwich Public Schools Special Education Local Advisory Committee
May 12, 2014
ARTICLE 1 - NAME
The name of this organization shall be:
The Exeter West Greenwich Regional School District SPECIAL EDUCATION LOCAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE (EWG SELAC).
ARTICLE 2 -AUTHORITY
The Exeter West Greenwich Regional School District SELAC will function and operate under the authority of The Rhode Island Board of Education Regulations Governing the Education of Children with Disabilities, adopted October 2013.
ARTICLE 3 -PURPOSE
The purpose of this Organization shall be:
1) To meet the responsibilities of a local advisory committee as enumerated in the Rhode Island Board of Education Regulations Governing the Education of Children with Disabilities.
2) To be a resource for parents, educators, and the Exeter West Greenwich Regional School District community for children with disabilities.
ARTICLE 4 - FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In accordance with the Rhode Island Regulations Governing The Education Of Children With Disabilities, the SELAC shall advise the school district on matters concerning:
1) Meeting the needs of students with disabilities.
2) Comment on school improvement plans including school support plans resulting from Part B compliance reports, local compliance with state and federal laws pertaining to the education of students with disabilities.
3) Comment on applications for federal and state funds.
4) Serve as advocates in partnership with parents for students with disabilities to ensure that they receive the entitlements provided to them under state and federal law.
ARTICLE 5 - MEMBERSHIP
The SELAC Membership shall be designated as follows:
Section I: EWG SELAC General Members
1. General Members of the EWG SELAC shall consist of members of the public who attend from time to time meetings and activities sponsored by the EWG SELAC.
2. Voting Privileges—shall be limited to General Members who have attended three (3) SELAC meetings within a twelve (12) month period.
3. General Members do not require approval of the School Committee.
4. The General Membership shall appoint a Leadership Team to be approved by the School Committee.
Section II: EWG SELAC Appointed Leadership Team
1. The EWG SELAC General
Membership shall Select a LeadershipTeam which
shall consist of not less than three (3) members.
2. EWG Leadership Team membership shall be selected by existing team members and a general membership vote.
3. The EWG SELAC Leadership Team shall appoint a sub-committee as necessary.
4. The School Committee must appoint the EWG SELAC Leadership Team which shall serve as the official appointed EWG SELAC membership.
Section III: Leadership Team—Elected Officers
1. The SELAC Leadership Team may, from time to time, appoint officers to serve the EWG SELAC.
2. The SELAC officers do not require appointment by the school committee.
The EWG SELAC may appoint officers as follows:
1. SELAC Chairperson/Co-Chairperson
The duties and responsibilities of the Chairperson/Co-Chairperson are as follows:
1. Preside at SELAC meetings.
2. Execute and supervise responsibilities related to contracts and agreements in the organization’s behalf, and sign any such contracts and agreements on behalf of the SELAC.
3. Oversee the progress and results of SELAC committees, special projects, and events.
4. Collect and review all correspondence of the SELAC.
SELAC Recording Secretary
The duties and responsibilities of the Recording Secretary are as follows:
1. In the absence of the chairperson/co-chairperson, preside at SELAC meetings.
2. Record the minutes of the SELAC meetings and coordinate recording, filing and distribution of SELAC minutes at least 1 week prior to the next scheduled meeting.
3. Maintain the SELAC website.
4. Maintain SELAC records, including current membership list.
5. Coordinate with the Leadership Team the annual report for EWG School Committee re: SELAC membership list, activities, goals and needs.
6. Coordinate public communications as needed.
III: Resignation of Leadership Team and Officers
1. Any EWG SELAC Leadership Team member or Officer may resign by filing a written resignation with the EWG SELAC Leadership Team.
2. The EWG SELAC will notify the School Committee at the next scheduled meeting.
ARTICLE 6 - MEETINGS
1. All EWG SELAC meetings shall be open to all parents/guardians of students with disabilities and any interested parties from the EWG Regional School District community-at-large, and other local communities at large.
2. A schedule of meetings shall be determined and published by EWG SELAC. The EWG SELAC shall conduct no less than four regular meetings each year.
3. All EWG SELAC meetings and agenda items must be
3. All EWG SELAC meetings and agenda items must
be publicly announced prior to the meeting.
Submission of the SELAC meeting agenda must
be made to the Superintendent's secretary one
week prior to the meeting in order to meet the
RI Regulations governing Open Meetings and
for the announcement of those meetings on the
Secretary of State's website. ALL EWG SELAC
meetings will be open to the public.
4. All EWG SELAC meetings must be officiated by a
leadership team member or designee. At least Two
Leadership Team Member must be present to
constitute a quorum for actions requiring a vote.
5. Official minutes shall be kept of all EWG SELAC meetings and made available to the public upon request.
ARTICLE 7 - AMENDMENTS
1. The By-laws of the EWG SELAC must be reviewed by the Leadership Team at least annually.
2. The By-laws of the EWG SELAC may be amended
by a majority vote with the Leadership Team in
attendance at a meeting voting on same.
3. Amendments must be approved by the School
Committee. Amendments shall become effective upon
approval of the school committee unless indicated
otherwise at the time of approval.
School Committee Signatures required below: