Dr.Laxmi Deepika Koya
Dr. Koya is a board certified Gastroenterologist and has been in private practice in DFW area for the last 9 years. Her primary clinical interests include colon cancer prevention,Women's health, liver diseases, gastrointestinal diseases such as esophagitis, ulcers, gallbladder disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD) and quality assessment in endoscopy.
Dr. Koya perfoms a wide variety of procedures including colonoscopy with removal of polyps, EGD, esophageal dilations, PEG placements, wireless capsule endoscopy, esophageal manometry, CRH hemorrodial band ligation and also perfoms advanced endoscopic procedures such as ERCP.
Dr. Koya received here Medical School training at Gandhi Medical College, Hyderabad, India. Then she completed her Residency in Internal Medicine at the Abington Memorial Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvina. Then she worked as clinical faculty in the division of General Internal Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), Charleston, South Carolina. While working as a clinical faculty at MUSC she also obtained Master of Science in Clinical Research (MSCR) degree. Then subsequently she completed her Gastroenterology and Hepatology Fellowship training at the University of South Florida (USF), Tampa, Florida. She further continued at USF as a Assistant Professor in the department of digestive diseases and nutrition before moving Dallas, Texas. Since then she has been in private practice in DFW area for last 6 years.
Dr. Koya is member of American College of Gastroenterology, Texas Medical Association and Denton County Medical Society.
Dr. Koya has published several articles as primary author in multiple medical journals including American Journal of Public Health, American Journal of Medicine, Journal of General Internal Medicine, Diseases of Esophagus and Practical Gastroentrology. She also presented her work at various national meetings including Amercian College of Gasteroenterology (ACG), Digestive Disease Week (DDW) and General Internal Medicine meetings.
- Koya DL, Chen JG, Smith TG, Moran WP. Screening Mammography Use in Medicare Beneficiaries Reflects 4-Year Mortality Risk. Am J Med, 2011;124 (369.e1-369.e8)
- Koya DL, Agrawal A, Freeman J, Castell DO. Impedance detected abnormal bolus transit in patients with normal esophageal manometry. Sensitive indicator of esophageal functional abnormality? Dis Esophagus. 2008; 21(6): 563-9.
- Koya DL, Hill E, Darden P. The effect of vaccinated children on increased hepatitis B immunization among high-risk adults, Am J Public Health, 2008 May; 98(5): 832-8.
- Koya DL, Egede L. Association between Length of Residence and Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors among an Ethnically Diverse Group of United States Immigrants, J Gen Intern Med, 2007; 22: 841- 846
- Koya DL, Castell DO. Acid suppression Therapy for GERD: The Devil’s In the Details, Part II, Practical Gastroenterology, 2006; 2: 15-22
- Koya DL, Castell DO. Acid suppression Therapy for GERD: The Devil’s In the Details, Part I, Practical Gastroenterology, 2006; 1: 30-39
- Koya DL, Pinkas H, Prieto R, Keshishian J, Brady PG. Prophylactic Pancreatic Duct Stents Prevent Post-ampullectomy Pancreatitis: A Single Center Experience. Am J Gastroenterol 105: (abstract supplement): S61
- Koya DL, Coppola D, MD, Barthel J. Barrett Esophagus: Is It More Than Just Intestinal Metaplasia? Am J Gastroenterol 105: (abstract supplement): S3
- Koya DL, Prieto R, Keshishian J, Daas A, Brady PG. Post-ERCP Pancreatitis: Single Center Experience. Am J Gastroenterol 104: (abstract supplement): S74.
- Koya DL, Chen J, Moran W. Screening Colonoscopy in Older Medicare Beneficiaries. Do We Consider Prognosis? Am J Gastroenterol 103 : (supplement 1s): S406-S407
- Koya DL, Chen J, Moran W. Predictors of Colonoscopy Use Among Female Medicare Beneficiaries Am J Gastroenterol 103 : (supplement 1s): S552-S553
- Koya DL, Castell DO, Vela M, Simpson K. Cost-effectiveness of Impedance pH testing in persistent reflux-related cough despite acid suppressive therapy. Am J Gastroenterology, 2007, 102 (supplement 2): S154