English Essentials Resources for English Essentials
- come here to find online resources mentioned in English Essentials.
- One World Net Topic Guides A good list of the main global issues.
- One World Net Top Page
- Mr. Shah’s Global Issues Homepage A well- organized personal site with many topics.
- Change.org An organization that raises awareness about important causes and empowers people to take action.
United Nations Cyber School Bus A good list of topics designed to appeal to young people.
- UN Millennium Development Goals Easy to understand multimedia presentations.
- UNESCO Themes Descriptions of main issues.
- 15 Global Challenges Facing Humanity (UN) List of issues and link to a detailed report.
Do Something! (global youth action) Concise fact sheets and advice on volunteer action.
The Miniature Earth (play the video) A good overview of the state of the world.
- 100 People: A World Portrait Another good overview of the state of the world. Don't miss the videos of Best Student Projects.
Global Issues in Depth: Facing the Future Click on the keywords in the image. A good introduction to key global issues.
- Global Issue Resources: Facing the Future More global topics and learning materials.
Fair Trade Action Guide for Schools Free trade or fair trade? Do you know the difference? Download "Make Your Mark" and "Fair Trade Action Guide."
Japan’s ODA How Japan is helping the world
- JICA How Japan is helping the world.
- Japan NGO Center (E-J) Covering groups involved with International and domestic issues.
Taking It Global Youth Action Guide Climate change, HIV-Aids, UN Millennium Development Goals, Volunteer action to change the world!
- Taking It Global Youth Magazine Identity, culture and climate change; youth working to achieve the UN Millennium Development Goals.
The Story of Stuff Video (environment, poverty) Interesting multimedia presentations on the negative impact of globalization, bottled water, Cap-and-Trade, etc.
- Severn Suzuki Speaking at the Rio Earth Summit (video & script) Link updated 2012-10-29. Very impressive. Don't miss this one! Click on Transcript to see the text.
Earth & Sky (environment, energy issues)
- Living on Earth (environment, energy issues)
- Care2 Make a Difference (healthy, green living and other global issues)
Teachers' references for global issues
2012年7月25日説明会にて紹介したウェブページWeb sites introduced at the English Study Support Program guidance, July 25, 2012:
- Martha Stewart - Website with delicious food recipes, art and crafts ideas, entertaining tips, gardening, pets, and more.
- Seventeen magazine - Teen fashion and hairstyles, health, college life, quizzes, games and fun.
- Internet Movie Database (IMDb) - Online database of information related to movies, television shows, video games and visual entertainment media.
- Expedia - Travel website, where you can book airline tickets, hotel reservations, car rentals, cruises, vacation packages and various attractions and services.
- London 2012 Olympics official website - You can get all the Olympics information you need from here.
- トヨタ自動車 - Official site of Toyota Motor Sales for cars, trucks, SUVs, etc.
- ホンダ自動車 - Official site for Honda cars, motorcycles, personal watercraft, ATVs, etc.
Extra Study Tips:
All English Day 2011 was held on November 25. Read more about it here
English Poster Projects
English Poster Speeches (FESTA)
TOEIC & TOEFL
Required English Classes
Resources for Required English (必修英語) classes at the Sophia University Junior College Division. (Under construction)
About Links to External Sites
- Some of the links on this page connect to external sites that are not controlled by Sophia Junior College. Use your own judgment to assess their value, credibility, accuracy, and fairness. To learn how to judge Web sites, see Evaluating Websites (Lesley University Library).
- Some of the external sites include advertisements or offer to sell a service or product. Being listed here does not imply a recommendation of these services or products. Caveat emptor!
News & Current Events
The Japanese Press in English