My research interests are in corporate governance and institutional investors. My PhD thesis title is "Corporate Governance Reform in Malaysia: Compliance, Institutional Investors and Firm Performance."
Below are links to my research work. Comments are welcome. I am hoping to publish at least two articles based on my thesis. I have included some interesting websites, especially for those whom are interested in similar studies.
Publications (n=5, as at July 2010)
Abdul Wahab , E. A., How, J., & Verhoeven, P. (2007). The Impact of the Malaysian Code on Corporate Governance: Compliance, Institutional Investors and Stock Performance. Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics, 3(2), 106-129.
Abdul Wahab , E. A., How, J., & Verhoeven, P. (2008). Corporate Governance and Institutional Investors: Evidence from Malaysia. Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance, 4(2), 67-90.
Abdul Wahab , E. A., & Abdul Rahman, R. (2009). Institutional Investors and Directors’ Remuneration: Do Political Connections Matter? In K. J. Mark Hirschey, Anil K. Makhija (Ed.), Advances in Financial Economics (Vol. 13, pp. 139-169).
·Abdul Wahab , E. A., Mat Zain, M., James, K., & Haron, H. (2009). Institutional Investors, Political Connection and Audit Quality in Malaysia. Accounting Research Journal, 22(2), 167-195.
Zain, M. M., Effiezal Aswadi , A. W., & Foo, Y. B. (2010). Audit quality: do the audit committee and internal audit arrangements matters? Corporate Ownership and Control, Forthcoming.
Working Papers (Papers are available upon request)
*Copyrights of some published
papers are held the publishers .Please
do not keep copies of these files on any other computer system. You are welcome
to post links.
- "Institutional Investors, Corporate Governance and Firm Performance in Malaysia" Paper presented at 2nd Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics (JCAE) Symposium in Penang, Malaysia 2007. *Instrumental Variables tests (Partial R square, F-stats, Hansen-Sargan, Hausman tests
- The Impact of the Malaysian Code on Corporate Governance: Compliance, Institutional Investors and Stock Performance ===> Click here for the abstract.
- Political Connections, Corporate Governance and Audit Fees in Malaysia (Co-authors : Kieran James, Mazlina Mat Zain) Revised and Resubmit to International Journal of Auditing
- Initial Audit Engagements in Malaysia : Price Differentiation and Subsequent Recovery ( Co-author: Mazlina Mat Zain)==> Abstract ==> Under review with Pacific Accounting Review
- Political Connections: A Threat to Auditor Independence? (Co-authors: Rashidah Abdul Rahman, Mazlina Mat Zain) ==> Under review with The International Journal of Accounting
- Political Connections, Corporate Governance and Earnings Predictability (Janice How, Peter Verhoeven and Effiezal Abdul Wahab) ==> click here Under review Journal of Banking and Finance
- After Enron: Earnings Conservatism in Malaysia (co-author: Mazlina Mat Zain and Marziana Madah Marzuki) ==> Currently under review with Malaysian Accounting Review
The above papers (1st and 2nd) differ(slightly) in research questions, methodology and data used. For those who are interested in simultaneous equations/3SLS estimations, read the first paper.
Interesting websites (Don't worry, I received consent from them to post site. Yes, consent.)
- Mara Faccio (on political economy)
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk (on corporate governance and shareholders protection)
- John Cochrane (take a peek at his PhD writing tips!)
- Stijn Claessens (Corporate Governance in Asia)
- Rafael La Porta
- Corporate Governance Encyclopedia (http://www.encycogov.com)
- Roszaini Haniffa (on Malaysia's corporate governance and cultural studies)
Malaysian Websites (useful for researchers)
- Journal of Accounting and Economics
- Journal of Accounting Research
- Accounting Review
- Contemporary Accounting Research
- Journal of Accounting Research
- Journal of Finance
- Journal of Financial Economics
- Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance
Working Papers Websites
A compilation of working paper websites : Download here!
PhD Survival Kit (suggestions are welcome)
- How to survive your PhD process by David Gauntlet
- Ten Commandments for PhD by Prof. Kenneth Simmonds (Auckland) - A daring one!
- Doctoral Student Issues : Decision Science Institute
- How to manage your long thesis in Ms Word* (new)
Other Stuff (Free software, writing tips etc..)
- GRETL (Free econometric software)
- Transition Words Database (http://www.carlosignacio.com/twd/)
- MS Word Equation tutorial (http://www.internet4classrooms.com/msword_equation.htm)
- Common errors in English
- Endnotes 10 Guide
- EVIEWS Guide
- Google Pages Guide