Fallen Hereos

Honoring All Fallen Members of the Eagle Lake Police Department

In reverse chronological order.

Patrolman Roberto NietoEnd of Watch: Wednesday, July 24, 2002

Cause: Struck by train

Patrolman Roberto Nieto was killed when his patrol car was struck by a train while he was patrolling a Union Pacific rail yard at 1850 hours.

The locomotive struck his patrol car at approximately 50 mph. He was flown to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Patrolman Nieto had been employed with the 9-person Eagle Lake Police Department for two months after serving with another agency. He is survived by his wife, daughter, stepdaughter, and parents.

Line of Duty

Deaths: 5

Gunfire: 3

Struck by train: 1

Struck by vehicle: 1

By Month

May: 1

June: 2

July: 1

October: 1

By Gender

Male: 5

Female: 0

Patrolman Tobin Craig ThomasEnd of Watch: Thursday, June 18, 1998

Cause: Gunfire

Patrolman Tobin Thomas was shot and killed as he was investigating the scene of a murder.

The suspect in that murder was hiding in some long brush near the scene and shot Patrolman Thomas in the back with a shotgun. Patrolman Thomas' vest stopped five pellets and his belt stopped two. However, two pellets passed between his vest and his belt, one of which struck his spine and the other striking an artery, causing internal bleeding.

Despite being mortally wounded, Patrolman Thomas was able to return fire and kill the suspect.

Patrolman Thomas had served with the agency for 2 years. He is survived by his wife and child.

Police Officer Albert Lewis Schmidt

End of Watch: Friday, October 2, 1953

Cause: Gunfire

Officer Schmidt was shot and killed while attempting to arrest an intoxicated man. The suspect was able to gain control of Officer Schmidt's weapon and shoot him in the chest.

Officer Schmidt had been with the agency for five years and was survived by his wife and seven children.

Night Marshal Lan SmithEnd of Watch: Sunday, May 30, 1948

Cause: Struck by vehicle

Night Marshal Lan Smith was struck and killed by a vehicle while making his nightly rounds of the city's business district at about 2:00 am.

He had stepped into the street in front of the post office when he was struck by a vehicle and was dragged for one block. He died several minutes later before being taken to the hospital. The driver of the vehicle, who had been arrested by Marshal Smith the night before for drunk driving, was arrested and held on charges in connection with his death.

Marshal Smith had been appointed only several months prior to his death. He was survived by his mother, two sisters, and two brothers.

Heroes live forever, Marshal Smith, and we will never forget. Thank you for the sacrifice you made for the citizens of Eagle Lake and the great State of Texas.
Greater Houston C.O.P.S.
May 30, 2013

City Marshal William R. Kinard

End of Watch: Thursday, June 4, 1903

Cause: Gunfire

Marshal Kinard was shot and killed by a man who he had told leave the area. Marshal Kinard was on his usual rounds when he was asked to respond to a disturbance at a local saloon. Upon his arrival he disarmed an intoxicated man and told him to go home. The man came back approximately one hour later with a Winchester Rifle and shot Marshal Kinard in the side. He was able to return fire, killing the suspect.

Marshal Kinard had been with the agency for five years and was survived by his wife and seven children.