Conversation group volunteers meet weekly during class hours with adult refugees at Emily Griffith Technical College (EGTC). These refugees are learning the English language skills necessary for living and working in our community. The students are limited-English speakers identified by the CRESL program as needing intensive ESL practice. Volunteers meet in a casual environment to exchange information and experiences with the students, support their use of conversational English, and help them connect to their new community.
- Strong desire to improve the English language skills of recently arrived refugees
- Sensitivity to cultural differences
- Ability to participate in conversation group sessions on a consistent basis for a minimum of four months
- Patience, understanding, and flexibility
- Complete volunteer orientation
- Attend training workshops when available
- Participate as a conversation group leader on a consistent basis
- Facilitate conversation and encourage students to discuss topics of interest
- Notify the volunteer coordinator or instructor if you are unable to be present during your scheduled hours
Day and Time
Morning session: Currently unavailable
Midday session: Thursdays, 11:00-12:00 noon
Afternoon session: Thursdays 1:30-2:45
Evening session: Every-other Wednesday 6:00-8:00 p.m.
If you would like to be a conversation partner, please click here to download an application.