The following are excerpts from selected news items and events focused on the history of Clarendon county:
- Tour Clarendon with Android App - You can take a walking and talking tour of
historic Clarendon County thanks to a new software app for android cell
- Clarendon County Annual Striped Bass Festival, Pageant, and Fishing Tournament occurs every April in Manning.
- Historic grist mill, bottling plant await new owner -The historic Senn Blacksmith Shop, grist mill and bottling plant in Summterton, has been donated by the owners to The Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation...
- Francis Marion Symposium - Normally held during the Fall each year in the city of Manning.
- Manning celebrates National Historic Preservation Month -The City of Manning teamed up with the Clarendon Historical Society Museum to celebrate National Historic Preservation Month in May, 2014, with a focus on the 105 year old Clarendon County Courthouse that was recently renovated.
- A 'Mammoth' Day at the State House - An 8-year-old from Clarendon County got the attention of Gov. Nikki
Haley and the world, when she wrote the governor a letter asking her to
name the Columbia Mammoth as the state’s official state fossil...
- It's Time to do the 'Stomp' - The Annual 'Puddin’ Swamp' Festival is held each year in Turbeville. It's a town birthday
celebration with lots of history on display.
- Summerton festival celebrates landmark court case - Celebrations were held in Summerton to
honor Briggs v. Elliott, one of five cases rolled into Brown
v. Board of Education, the case that overturned the accepted practice of
school segregation in the U.S.
- Storytelling recounts Turbeville History - The celebration of Turbeville’s 100th birthday has brought back a flood
of memories that a few of the lifelong residents of the area have
- Smithsonian Exhibit headed to Weldon - The Clarendon County Museum and History Center has been selected as one of six host sites in South Carolina to exhibit Hometown Heroes: How Sports Shape America next year...
If you would like to suggest new material or links to be added to this
web site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The following are key news organizations providing excellent coverage and information about Clarendon county:
Also, be sure to visit the following Clarendon County social media sites: