One of the nice things I did in DM-Q3ProTourney4 was making the UT2K4-ish dodging up ramps.
I was inspired by this:
Originally Posted by Steve Polge
UT3 does support dodging up ramps as in DM-Rankin. To enable this, either use a mutator to change UTPawn SlopeBoostFriction to 0.0, or to make a specific ramp work like this in any map, set a physicalmaterial for the ramp whose friction is less than 0.2.
But it's not just a simple whatever ramp using a special physical material. I tried a BSP and it didn't work well. I mean yes you can dodge up sometimes but there are glitches and it feels bad. Then I tried a staticmesh with UCX collision model. Didn't work too. Finally I used a hidden mesh for collision, and this time it was perfect!
Here the steps to make it:
1) First off, make a convex ramp mesh. Just like this:
2) Import it as a StaticMesh. Double click the asset in the generic browser to open the properties:
3) The material may looks like this:
5) Double click the physical material in the browser to open the properties:
Just give it a dummy color. That's enough.
4) Create a physical material, and add it in the properties of the above material:
Now, play the map and enjoy the dodging up!
Set the value of "Friction" to less than 0.2. My experience is you can simply set it to zero for a dodging up ramp.
6) So now we have a staticmesh using a dummy material refering to a custom physical material. Next step is to add it where the visual ramp is, and hide it, and make sure it doesn't mess up with the lighting.
Uncheck the flags in "Lighting" and "Rendering" sections, so basically the render will ignore the mesh.
7) The default collision setting should be fine, but you can still double check it: