Canaan History / Photos / Videos
This Photo is the Canaan Time Capsule Monument that was laid in 1941 and was Rumored by Elder Canaan Family Folks over the years that documents and history was buried inside for future generations.The day has come by decision of Canaan folks to open the Time Capsule 75 yrs later at Canaan Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2016. View Photo Album of Homecoming and Opening of Time Capsule
Also, Canaan folks have decided to put back Time Capsule Monument after opening it and place some of current and past documentation of the time now for future generations, will be open again 2091.
This is Canaan History Page at: http://CanaanUMC.net
Canaan-First UMC Denton Parsonage SOLD November12th.,2019
New Heat Pumps added July 2021, 5 and 3 Ton, also had to upgrade wiring from 100 amp to 400amp box outside
Rented Church on Saturdays to Seven Day Adventist in May 2021
These wood church photos below was located where part of the grave yard is now.
Right Click on Photos for larger View.
CANAAN CHURCH HISTORIC SKETCH 1840-1940 and moving forward to present 2017
It is to be greatly regretted that records are not available that give in detail the exact history of this interesting church. It is reasonably certain that the land was donated by Ransom Harris, the eldest son of Captain Jesse Harris of Revolutionary War fame. Ransom Harris, the probable founder of this church, was a man of no little distinction. He was one of the commissioners appointed by the legislature to form Davidson County in 1822. He was a member of the first Court of Com-mon Pleas. He was the first Registrar of Deeds of Davidson County and served two terms in the State Senate. He died in 1841 and is buried in Canaan cemetery.
It is not known just when Canaan Church was established but judging from graves in tne cemetery and other data it must have been established not later than 1840. The Locatron of this church is about five miles northeast of Denton in Davidson County but near the Randolph County line.
In the beginning it was a Methodist Episcopal (Northern) Church. In 1844 when the Methodist } Episcopal Church was divided and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was termed, it as did all property of tile South, became a part of the newly organized church. It was a place of active influence for a number of years. But during the years following the Civil War, when conditions of life were so confused, the Church ceased to be active and finally went into abandonment. For years there were no services conducted here and the building which was a log structure went into decay and ruin.
In 1898 another chapter of this interesting church began. At this time the people of the community concluded that there were not enough people of anyone denomination to canyon a church but that there were people of foul' denominations and that these good people could build a union church and work together in harmony. The records show that a representation of the community went to the Uwharrie Quarterly Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and asked for a grant of the property that the Union Church might be erected. The partition being favorably received, the property was deeded to the Baptist, the Lutheran, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and the Methodist Protestant Churches. On these historic grounds a new church was erected and the four denominations worked together in harmony, each communion having its own pastor and each having a Sunday each month. An inter-denominational Sunday School was carried on and the work went well for a number of years. But after a time, because of changes in the community, three of the denominations grew weaker while one, the Methodist Protestant, grew stronger, and finally this denomination only was able to maintain its services.
In 1926 when Rev. E. A. Bingham was the Methodist Protestant pastor the interests of the three other denominations were bought by the Methodist Protestant Church. In 1939 when Methodist union was adopted the property automatically became a part of the Methodist Church. The transferring of this property carries with it a most unusual record. It has been conveyed once by a private owner to a church. Twice it has been 'transferred because of new churches having been formed. Twice the conveyance has been from one church constituency to an other. Six different denominations have possessed legal rights and privileges. This is possibly a record without parallel. In 1929 when the Methodist Protestant congregation became sole owners of the property the faithful band set themselves to the task of making some very necessary improvements. Road conditions had changed and this made it necessary that the building should be relocated. Sunday School rooms were built and the painter's brush was applied and a lighting system was installed. The equipment is now quite adequate. There is a good auditorium, three good class rooms and a choir loft which is used for a class room. Few country churches are more happily located, being in a community of prosperous and well-to-do farmers and with a large number of young people who are engaged in the activities of the nearby cities but who are loyal to their church. The community is not over Church-ed and the church is serving a, great need and is doing a most important work in Kingdom service, There is a parcel of ground containing two and ten-sixteenth (2 10/16) acres, The cemetery is well kept and contains the remains of loved ones, many of whose friends and relatives now live at a distance but are sentimentally tied to the old church of their former years,
Among those who have gone out from this church and are living elsewhere are two ministers of whom the church is truly proud. These are Rev. Atlas Ridge and Rev. C. E. Ridge both of whom are honored members of the North Carolina conference. Records not being available, it is impossible to note just who and how many were the charter members. But it is reasonable to conclude that they were few in number but that they were loyal and true. It is known that the number of changes has been large and that large numbers have gone out from this church to be members of other churches and yet the membership roll has increased until it stands at 146 at present. 
W. O. Davis was pastor in 1898 and probably organized the church. After this the pastors follow: T. F. 1'vIcCulloch,1899; L I. York, 1900; E. A. Pliler, 1901; J. G. W. Holloway, 1902; Edward Suits, 1903, '04; J.W. Self, 1905; C. H. Hill, 1906; J. W, Self, 1907; W. J. Hackney, 1908; T. A. Plyler, 1909, '10; Joel Trogdon, 1911, '12, '13, '14, '15; D. A. Braswell, 1916; D. M. Loy, 1917, '18; B. M. Williams, H. L. Isley, 1919; D.A. Highfill, 1920; Joel Trogdon, 1921, '22, '23, '24; O. C. Loy, 1925; J.Elwood Carroll and T. Glenn Madison (joirrtly}, 1926; M. C. Henderson, 1927; E. A. Bingham, 1928, '29, '30; Robert Short, 1931, '32, '33; T, J. Bowman, 1934, '35, '36, '37; Geo. L. Curry, 1938, '39-.
In 1898 when the church was organized it became a part of the Davidson charge where it remained until 1902 when it became a part of the Uhwarrie Charge where it remained until 1918. At this time it became a part of the Denton charge and where it remains at present. It with Central Church at Denton with a distance of only 5 miles of good road between them and with the people of both churches very closely associated make a very desirable charge with great possibilities of usefulness. This historic sketch info came from Canaan Year Book and Directory 1940. No Picture of log church. Canaan church was built and relocated again in 1898, according to Time Capsule Monument.
After 1940 moving forward: We continued to worship in this church for a number of years, and during the pastorate of Reverend Ralph Jacks, a fund was started for a new church building. A goodly sum was raised, and under direction of Reverend G.W.Vick, the present brick building was started and finished while Reverend M.C. Ellerbe was pastor. The 2 acres across canaan road was donated by Fred Nance and Allison Loflin. The first service was held in the new church building on Easter Sunday 1949, by Reverend George Clemmer, District Superintendent of Thomasville District. Canaan church building was dedicated on September 9, 1951.
This old wood church was purchased by Clinard and Glenn Nance around 1950-51 for $1000.00 and moved down the road about a mile. Glenn used some of the lumber to built him a barn, which later burned, and Clinard built on to his house [3 rooms] with his part. They where members at canaan at that time. These facts were told by Joan Nance [wife of Clinard] 2009. Clinard and Glenn Nance was sons of Fred Nance which was one of two who donated the land which canaan church stands today .
In 2007 Lee Loflin told us he walked to the old canaan church when he was a boy, around 1920. Lee would have been 100 yrs. old Sept.1, 2009.
Canaan Church Basement and back addition with bathrooms was added to Canaan in the 60's. In the late 70's basement was remolded with new floors and Vinyl was added, the men of church did the floors and Johnny Lowe did the Vinyl walls. Johnny was a member at the time. Mid 70,s window unit air-condition was installed, some unit was stolen in early 80,s and Central Air was installed. Mid 70,s, early 80,s the outside arbor was built. JB Nance built the Picnic tables in the arbor in mid 80's. In 1997 The steeple was added to church in memory of Katherine Bisher by her family. The Brick sign and Bell tower in front of church was built in 1998 in memory of JB Nance by family. Paved parking lot on left side of church was added in early 2000's, labor donated by Donnie Apple and helped out by church members. Side walks were re-done also during this time. Church under took some renovation inside with new ceiling in sanctuary mid 2000 and new banisters, remodel of bathrooms and fresh paint throughout. New sign at drive-way added spring 2016 and finished July15th, 2017. Monetary for sign by Shirley Glover in Memory of Donald Glover her husband. Rock Work donated for Sign by Steven Grubb, a member of Canaan UMC. with helpers Max Bisher and ronnie g. , helpers to set sign were Gary Lanier, Thomas Pierce, Max Bisher, Steven Grubb, Ronnie Covington and Ronnie Gallimore Sign dedicated at Canaan Homecoming August 6th, 20. 17. Time Capsule Closure and Dedication also at Homecoming Aug.6th.,2017, Time Capsule will be open again 75 yrs. Homecoming yr. 2091. In Feb. 2017, Suzanne and Ronnie Gallimore added a Lighted Curio Display and a small glass display to Canaan Church in the hall to display 1941 Time Capsule items. In 2018 the arbor was upgraded with vinyl and boards replaced between poles. [2 were added new]
Having low attendance at both churches, Canaan and First UMC joined forces and became a United Church in 2013, alternating months holding services between Canaan and First UMC.
Pastors of First & Canaan on record.
2016 - Rev. Dr. Dennis Sheppard -- 2010- 2016—Tammy Talbert - 2007- 2009—Bill Foust - 2005 - 2006—Stan Champion - 1999- 2004—Dan Money 1998—JH Varner -- 1997—Ann Musselman - 1994 - 1996—Gary McLain - 1988 - 1993—Jack Stratas - 1984 - 1987 Gary W Leonard - 1981 - 1983 Chip Webb 1977 - 1980—Joseph Green - 1975- 1976—JE Cloer - 1974- JC Reynolds ----Rev. Yokley 1969 -- 1950 Rev. Oakley, first Preacher that lived in New Parsonage. 1940,s Reverend G.W.Vick - 1949 Reverend M.C. Ellerbe
Canaan pastors on record 1898-1940
late 1940s Reverend G.W.Vick started new church building - new church finished while Reverend M.C. Ellerbe was pastor - early 1940s Reverend Ralph Jacks G. O Curry 1938-40....? - T.G. Bowman 1934-37 - Robert Short 1931-33 - E.A. Bingham 1928-30 - M.C. Henderson 1927 - J.Elwood Caroll and J.T.Madison [jointly] 1926 - O.C. Loy 1925 - Joel Trogdon 1921-24 - D.A. Highfill 1920 - B.M. Williams, H.L. Isley 1919 - D.M. Loy 1917-18 - D.A. Braswell 1916 - Joel Trogdon 1911-15 - T.A. Pyler 1909-10 - W.J. Hackney 1908 - J.W.. Self 1907 - C.H. Hill 1906 - J.W.. Self 1905 - Edward Suits 1903 - J.G.W. Holloway 1902 - E.A. Pliler 1901 - I.I. York 1900 - T.F. McCulloch 1899 - W.O. Davis was Pastor in 1898 and probably organized the Church. This Info 1898-1939 furnished by 1940 Canaan Directory that was in Time Capsule at canaan open in 2016.
Time Capsule was packed with a lot of info. due to open again in 75yrs. 1991. [ Inventory list for 2091 Time Capsule.pdf ]
Download History in PDF at: Google Doc. Here
Click Photos for larger view
Click Photos for larger view
Click Photos for larger view
Emsley and Charity Katherine Surratt Hunt
Click Photos for Larger View
Below are some live links to old outdated Canaan web but does some scrolling photos.
A lot of other stuff listed below that has no live link, Canaan done these events but the photos got destroyed.
Thanks for Viewing.
May 4, 2006 Canaan UMC at Mt. Sheppard Retreat.
2006 Canaan UMC Bar-B-Que Chicken Fundraiser
Canaan UMC Youth Pizza / Bowling / Jan. 29, 2006 ~ Click Here
Recommittal Service Feb 19, 2006 @ Central UMC ,Denton NC - Click Here
Canaan UMC Family Album Photos 2005-2006 ~ Click Here
2005 Youth Christmas Program,Cookie Fest,Christmas Cantata and Christmas Day
Eric Garner and Trisha Stanley Married on Sat. Dec 31, 2005 at Fairgrove UMC by Stan Champion, Denton, NC ~ Photos Click Here
2005 Canaan Youth Spaghetti supper and Bazarr nov 20, Canaan UMC youth campout at the lake oct.2005 UMW canaan, Pretty Pumpkin 2005
Canaan Youth Shoebox Shopping, Oct24, 2004 - "VBS Canaan Campout, Aug 6,2004 - "Wonderful Wed. Youth Trip to Emerald Point Aug.2,2004
Canaan Homecoming 2004 - Danny Hosler speaker & featuring a 204 Sq. Ft. Buffet table
Trike/Bike-A-Thon June 24,2004 Denton,NC for St. Jude Hosp. - Canaan UMC Out Reach @ Tour de Kale 2003/2004 photos - Click Here
Fishing Tournament at Canaan UMC may 23 2004 - Mt. Shepherd Picnic May 16,2004-Canaan & First UMC ~ Click Here
2004 Youth Easter Egg Hunt photos at Canaan UMC - Denton NC * Click Here
****** year 2003 ******
Youth @ Canaan UMC , Shoe Box Shopping for Christmas 2003 * Click Here
Youth Hotdog Supper and Hayride 10/25/03 * Click Here
Nursery and Youth Photos at Canaan UMC, some of God's Miracles * Click Here
Pancake Supper, Aug 2003 * OutReach Fundraiser @ Canaan UMC * Click Here
Homecoming @ Canaan UMC * Aug 3rd ,2003 * Click Here
Asheboro Zoo photo by Tammy, July 2003 with the Youth * Click Here
Dan Nicholas Park photo slide show*UMC Service & Picnic fellowship / JUNE 2003 * CLICK HERE
Wonderful Wed.-focusing on God's creations with the youth @ Canaan UMC * Click Here
Canaan UMC Out Reach @ Tour de Kale 2003-TDK raised apprx. $50,000.00 for Raleigh Ward family & Neal Morris * Click Here
WNC UMC Conference at Lake Junaluska *June 2003 photos/Dan Money commissioned by bishop & more *CLICK HERE
Fathers Day CookOut @ the Lake Photos 2003 * Click Here
Dan Money Graduates from Duke 2003 * Photos Click Here
Men/Women Outreach Ministry Spring Fling In Denton,NC * 2003 Photos * Click Here
Youth Worship Service / Mother Day Photos 2003 * Click Here
UMM Ministry Fishing Tournament May 4, 2003 PHOTOS * CLICK Here
Easter Photos 2003 @ Canaan * Click Here
Pastors of First & Canaan on record.
1998—JH Varner -- 1997—Ann Musselman - 1994 - 1996—Gary McLain - 1988 - 1993—Jack Stratas - 1984 - 1987 Gary W Leonard - 1981 - 1983 Chip Webb
1977 - 1980—Joseph Green - 1975- 1976—JE Cloer - 1974- JC Reynolds ----Rev. Yokley 1969 -- 1950 Rev. Oakley, first Preacher that lived in New Parsonage.
Canaan pastors on record
late 1940s Reverend G.W.Vick started new church building - new church finished while Reverend M.C. Ellerbe was pastor - early 1940s Reverend Ralph Jacks
G. O Curry 1938-40....? - T.G. Bowman 1934-37 - Robert Short 1931-33 - E.A. Bingham 1928-30 - M.C. Henderson 1927 - J.Elwood Caroll and J.T.Madison [jointly] 1926 - O.C. Loy 1925 - Joel Trogdon 1921-24 - D.A. Highfill 1920 - B.M. Williams, H.L. Isley 1919 - D.M. Loy 1917-18 - D.A. Braswell 1916 - Joel Trogdon 1911-15 - T.A. Pyler 1909-10 - W.J. Hackney 1908 - J.W.. Self 1907 - C.H. Hill 1906 - J.W.. Self 1905 - Edward Suits 1903 - J.G.W. Holloway 1902 - E.A. Pliler 1901 - I.I. York 1900 - T.F. McCulloch 1899 - W.O. Davis was Pastor in 1898 and probably organized the Church. This Info 1898-1939 furnished by 1940 Canaan Directory that was in Time Capsule at canaan and open in 2016.
On April 23, 1968, The United Methodist Church was created when Bishop Reuben H. Mueller, representing The Evangelical United Brethren Church, and Bishop Lloyd C. Wicke of The Methodist Church joined hands at the constituting General Conference in Dallas, Texas. With the words, "Lord of the Church, we are united in Thee, in Thy Church and now in The United Methodist Church," the new denomination was given birth by two churches that had distinguished histories and influential ministries in various parts of the world.