Britains first aviation week was staged from the 18th to the 23rd of October1909, hangers, stands and two miles of track were hurriedly built in seven weeks which encrouched onto the sand dunes and golf course. White sheeted fences were erected to prevent many unpaid visitor from seeing the spectacle. The flying course is shown below, it starts at the line in front of Layton Hawes farm, turns south and crosses division lane. The aircraft flew down to Kiln house lane, back up the golf course, around the club house and over Lytham Rd to the finish line.
The 1909 Air-show
An original plan of the enclosure can be found at Lytham online http://amounderness.co.uk/blackpool_aviation_centenary.html
The picture on the left was downloaded from http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/media/historicalpre1914/fablackpoolbournemouth19101-jpg-15927.aspx
it shows a scene from outside the airfield during the air show. After completing a 3D model an image was created to show its origin. It was taken on Squires gate Lane close to the entrance which is obscured by the fence. Layton Hawes farm is still standing with the viewing stands running adjacent.
Another well ciculated picture shows an aviator flying around the markers and past the golf club house. This photograph was taken on the edge of the golf course looking north east. Again the 2D model picture shows the spot the photograph was taken in an elevated view. The wooden hangers are shown just to the left of the picture and Lytham Rd running through the centre of the image.
Event Summary
Henri Rougier won the award and flew 22 miles (9 laps) in 32 mins in his Viosin biplane
The competitors were Henry Farman, A V Roe, Paulham Henri, Rougier Leblanc and Hubert Latham
In 1910 the Lancashire Aero club staged a second aviation meeting between July and August. All the 1909 stands were taken down and the original hangers moved. Another 10 hangers were built close to the railway line. The course was considerably smaller than the 1909 event and ran down Squires gate turned at ST Annes Rd, then ran parallel to division lane and back up Lytham Rd. Layton Hawes farm stood in the centre of the course and included a members enclosure. The bad weather hampered some aviators like Grahame-White, Cattaneo, Chavez, Champel and Tetard.
The 1910 Air-show
1910 Flying Course
Grahame White also made the first commercial air mail flight in 1910 and carried a photographer to drop flour bombs on the 13th Aug to highlight the potential aircraft could have during war fair. In September the trees were cut down around Layton hawes farm and the buildings demolished before a horse racing course was built. The land was leashed to the Clifton Park Racecourse Syndicate and a grandstand was built on the site which opened on 1st Aug 1911.