BeyondAgile is the Puget Sound-area user group for people using Agile and Lean practices to improve software and business.
We were formed from the combination and extrapolation of some previous Agile-related user groups: the Seattle XP Users' Group and Seattle Scrum. Mostly, we're people who want to share and learn about the latest ideas for better software development and delivery.
To be the Puget Sound-area Agile users' group that attracts people who use or are interested in using Scrum, Extreme Programming, Kanban, and other Agile/Lean methods and practices by presenting fun informative programs on compelling topics.
February 27, 2019
Cultivating Attention: the Secret of Agile Team Success
@ Expedia - 333 108th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA
6:30 - 8:30 p.m
- 6:30 Food and Social Time
- 7:00 Main Program
- 8:15 Retrospective
- 8:30 Adjourn
Why do some collaborative teams work together beautifully, while others can't stay in synch? In this session we'll explore the surprisingly simple factor that keeps teams aligned even when the pressure is on: paying attention.
- We'll investigate the neuroscience--the busy, tribal, biased, and reactive brain--that explains why team alignment is such a challenge.
- You'll learn simple techniques for developing the stable attention that is the prerequisite for team alignment.
- You'll take away specific practices to build the habit of attention for yourself and your Agile or cross-functional team so you can stay aligned in the midst of incidents, releases, org changes, and other forms of everyday stress.
In particular, we'll look at:
- Stable attention so your team can focus on what's important.
- Connectedness so your team can collaborate effectively.
- Open-Mindedness so your team can make good decisions that stick.
- Self-Awareness so your team can find resilience in the face of change.
Joe Anderson is the author of Cultivating Attention: the Paradoxical Secret of Team Success (Kerykeion Press, 2019 - available on Amazon). As a consultant and program manager he has helped teams succeed at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Getty Images, Microsoft, and many other organizations. In addition to nearly 30 years of work in the technology industry, Joe has sung, led, and taught Gregorian chant for 20 years. You can contact him through his website, www.jhanderson.biz.
This meeting is brought to you by: Plaster Group & Expedia