Current position: Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Aoyama Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan
Office: 4-4-25 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-8366, Japan
Current working papers
- Trade Exposure and Electoral Protectionism: Evidence from Japanese politician-level data, RIETI Discussion papers 18034, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- "Reciprocal Versus Unilateral Trade Liberalization: Comparing individual characteristics of supporters," RIETI Discussion papers 14067. http://www.rieti.go.jp/jp/publications/summary/14110007.html
- "How Do Exporters Respond to Exogenous Shocks: Evidence from Japanese Firm-Level Data" (with Ayumu Tanaka and Ryuhei Wakasugi), Japan and the World Economy, 2019.
- "Individual characteristics, behavioral biases, and attitudes toward foreign workers: Evidence from a survey in Japan," (with Eiichi Tomiura, Hiroshi Mukunoki, and Ryuhei Wakasugi), Japan and the World Economy, 50, 1-13, 2019.
- "Trade Policy Preferences and Cross-Regional Differences: Evidence from individual-level data of Japan,"(with Eiichi Tomiura, Hiroshi Mukunoki, and Ryuhei Wakasugi) Journal of the Japanese and International Economies 51, 99–109, 2019.
- "Individual Characteristics, Behavioral Biases, and Trade Policy Preferences: Evidence from a Survey in Japan"(with Eiichi Tomiura, Hiroshi Mukunoki, and Ryuhei Wakasugi) Review of International Economics 24(5), pp.1081-1095, 2016.
- “External R&D, Productivity, and Export: Evidence from Japanese firms,”(with Ayumu Tanaka), Review of World Economics, Vol. 152(3), pp.577–596, 2016.
- "Does electoral competition affect politicians' trade policy preferences? Evidence from Japan," Public Choice, vol.165(3), pp.239-261. 2015.
- “Does Agglomeration Promote the Internationalization of Chinese Firms?,”(with Zhaoyuan Xu and Naomitsu Yashiro), China Economic Review, vol. 34, pp. 109-121, 2015.
- “Offshore Outsourcing and Non-production Workers: Firm-level Relationships Disaggregated by Skills and Suppliers,” (with Eiichi Tomiura and Ryuhei Wakasugi), The World Economy, vol.36, pp.180-193, 2013.
- “How Do Chinese Industries Benefit from FDI Spillovers?,”(with Naomitsu Yashiro, Zhaoyuan Xu, XiaoHong Chen, and Ryuhei Wakasugi), China Economic Review, vol. 23(2), pp. 342-356, 2012.
- “Offshore Outsourcing and Productivity: Evidence from Japanese Firm-level Data Disaggregated by Tasks,” (with Eiichi Tomiura & Ryuhei Wakasugi), Review of International Economics, vol. 19(3), pp. 555-567, 2011.
- “Offshore Outsourcing Decision and Capital Intensity: Firm-Level Relationships,” (with Eiichi Tomiura & Ryuhei Wakasugi), Economic Inquiry, vol. 49(2), pp. 364-378, 2011.
- “Productivity Premia of Offshoring Firms in East Asia: Evidence from Japanese firms,” (with Ryuhei Wakasugi and Eiichi Tomiura), Millennial Asia, Vol.1, 2010.
- “The Effects of Stronger Intellectual Property Rights on Technology Transfer: Evidence from Japanese Firm-level Data,” (with Ryuhei Wakasugi), The Journal of Technology Transfer, vol. 34(2), pp. 145-158, 2009.
- “Offshoring and Trade in East Asia: A Statistical Analysis,” (with Ryuhei Wakasugi and Eiichi Tomiura), Asian Economic Papers, vol. 7(3), pp. 101-124, 2008.
- “Intra-firm Technology Transfer and R&D in Foreign Affiliates: Substitutes or Complements? Evidence from Japanese Multinational Firms,” (with Rene Belderbos and Ryuhei Wakasugi), Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, vol. 22(3), pp. 310-319, 2008.
- “What Factors Determine the Mode of Overseas R&D by Multinationals? Empirical Evidence,” (with Ryuhei Wakasugi), Research Policy, vol. 36(8), pp. 1275-1287, 2007.
- “Who Develops Innovations in Medicine for The Poor? Trends in Patent Applications Related to Medicines for HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria, and Neglected Diseases,” (with Tatsufumi Yamagata), The Developing Economies, vol. 45(2), pp. 141-171, 2007.
- “Features of Japanese internationalized firms: Findings based firm-level data,” (with R.Wakasugi, T.Matsuura, H.Sato, A.Tanaka, A, & Y.Todo) in R. Wakasugi (Ed.), Internationalization of Japanese firms: Evidence from firm-level data, (pp.15--45). Tokyo: Springer, 2014.
- “Intra-Firm Trade and Contract Completeness: Evidence from Japanese Foreign-Affiliated Firms,” (with Toshiyuki Matsuura), in R. Wakasugi (Ed.), Internationalization of Japanese firms: Evidence from firm-level data. Tokyo: Springer, 2014. The former version: RIETI Discussion Paper Series 09-E-026
- “Offshoring and Japanese Firms” (with Eiichi Tomiura & Ryuhei Wakasugi), in The Oxford Handbook of Offshoring and Global Employment Chapter 10 edited by Ashok Bardhan, Dwight M. Jaffee, and Cynthia A. Kroll, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- “Does Firm Boundary Matter?: The Effect of Offshoring on Productivity of Japanese Firms,” (with Eiichi Tomiura and Ryuhei Wakasugi), in Quantitative Analysis of Newly Evolving Patterns of International Trade: Fragmentation; Offshoring of Activities; and Vertical Intra-Industry Trade, edited by Robert M. Stern, World Scientific Pub Co Inc, 2012.
- “Emerging External Funds for Health: A Study of Global Health Partnerships,” in Making Health Services More Accessible in Developing Countries: Finance and Health Resources for Functioning Health Systems, edited by Hiroko Uchimura, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.