In May 19, 1955, thirty Alpha Phis signed a petition to obtain a charter as the Northern Virginia Alumnae Chapter. Until this time they had belonged to the DC/Maryland/Virginia Chapter. Billie Keeton Turner hosted this meeting and in her position as a District officer she provided invaluable assistance in organizing the new chapter. A slate of officers was presented and elected unanimously. Emily Christmas served as first President with Margery Maize as our first Vice President.
Our first anniversary was celebrated with the DC/Maryland Chapter who presented us with an engraved gavel, which we still use today. In May 1975, we celebrated our 20th anniversary. Chapter members and past presidents were presented with ivy plants, and we listened to an entertaining summary of our years together. Our 25th anniversary was commemorated at the May 1980 meeting. At our Spring Buffet meeting in June 1990, we celebrated 35 years together with our charter members sharing memories of the early years of the Chapter followed by a champagne toast. In June of 1995 at our spring buffet, the chapter’s 40th anniversary was joyfully observed with three of our charter members sharing memories.
We began in 1955 as a group of 30 women uniting to foster the ideas of sisterhood formed as students. In continuing to share this bond, we now have more than 145 members from 72 collegiate chapters. Our meetings are held throughout Northern Virginia to accommodate as many as possible.
1988 provided us with a new Alpha Phi chapter at George Mason University; thus we became enthusiastically involved with the local collegians. For many years, we gave long distance support to various chapters. We began with financial assistance to a newly founded chapter in Alabama and have continued through a variety of activities such as sewing projects, sending of gifts and furnishings, correspondence, and assistance during rush for chapters in Virginia and Maryland. During convention 1976, we received the International award for the best chapter giving support to a non-local collegiate chapter. Ten years later at the 1986 Convention, we were again presented this award! We have taken an active part in Panhellenic from the beginning.
Our Philanthropic work has enabled us to donate in excess of $30,000 to local hospitals for heart equipment. The Chapter has been honored with the following awards at convention:
In the past, we have had four members previously elected to Alpha Phi International offices. Billie Keeton Turner, one of Charter members now living in Florida, served as Director of Extension. Diane Spry Straker served as Vice President for Finance. Lucille Sullivan Selfridge was elected a Foundation Director. Alice Molitor King served as Vice President-Alumnae.