ABOUT ST FRANCIS XAVIER SCHOOL
The school is located on the main road into Tawa and has a wide catchment area that extends from Johnsonville to Whitby. Facilities include large, sunny classrooms, a well-stocked, computerised library, and a school hall for indoor activities. Outside the children enjoy wide expansive grounds with trees to hide in and shelter under on hot sunny days. There are adventure playgrounds and well-sealed court areas.
St Francis Xavier School is a Catholic school attended by children from Year 1 to Year 6. The school crest is that of the Brigidine Sisters who have been connected with the school since its inception in 1960. The school is a safe and happy place where every child is a valued member of a caring and supportive community. St Francis Xavier is a family centred school where parents are encouraged to become involved. People communicate well with each other and the school enjoys strong support from parents and the wider Parish community.
The school endorses the following Christ centred values :
- Patience and tolerance
- Unity in diversity
- Compassion and empathy
- Strength and gentleness
The school crest is that of the Brigidine Sisters, who
have been connected with St Francis Xavier School
since their arrival in Wellington in 1893.
The diamonds on the crest were adapted from the
episcopal crest of their Founder, Bishop Daniel Delaney.
The cross is St Brigid’s Cross and the lamp in the centre
diamond is symbolic of St Brigid’s fire – a sign of the
charity which St Brigid wished to burn constantly in the
hearts of all people.
The St Francis students will graduate with the following :
• Have a personal faith
• Be communicators
• Respect others
• Be active learners
• Be empathetic to others