Belfast Elementary began as a one-room log school in 1885. In 1890, a new site was purchased and a three-room weather board school was constructed. In 1899, the building burned to the ground, giving rise to the new school called Stuart Institute, named after H.C. Stuart who donated the land. In 1939, the present school was built and named Belfast School when the White family presented the land. In 1959, 1977, and 1988 additions were added to the building. In the summer of 2009, Belfast Elementary School was completely renovated including the roof, floor tile, and the heating/cooling system. Beginning with the 2017-2018 school year, Belfast Elementary serves grades Pre- Kindergarten through 5th with 7 classrooms, mobile computer lab, library, cafeteria, auditorium, mobile unit, and two offices. Belfast Elementary serves approximately 110 students.