Area Counseling, Housing and Food Resources
2-1-1 - a free and confidential service that provides information and referral to the top 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle. 2-1-1 can be accessed by either dialing 2-1-1 from a land line or mobile device or using the website. You can access this information 24/7 from any location using today's technology. The database is beneficial and convenient for all professionals.
Central Church of Christ: Financial Assistance, Emergency food, Wednesday night at Martha's Home
Church of Christ at The Colonies: Counseling
Southwest Church of Christ: Counseling, Benevolence, Bereavement
Region 16 Free Prenatal Resources: Assistance with appointments, Pregnancy education etc.
Bair Foundation - 806-355-3882 This is a private, non-profit, therapeutic foster care agency contracting with state and local agencies to place foster children in Christian homes.
Buckner Children and Family Services - 806-352-3900 Buckner Family Place is a 17 unit apartment complex. The program provides safe, affordable housing to single parents and their children while the parents are enrolled in an educational or vocational program.
Catholic Family Service Low Income Housing - 806-350-4605 Affordable housing program provides 53 rental units for low- income families. This program provides housing for people who may not be able to afford the high deposits and added utility costs of other apartments. CFS keeps the apartments highly maintained, deposits are minimal, and utilities are included. No application Fee All utilities paid
City of Amarillo Assistance - HUD Housing --509 East 7th 806-378-3098 If a person wants to get HUD housing within the Amarillo city limits, they can call this number. Applications are taken the first Tuesday of each month. 8am- 4pm, assists with emergency repairs.
Low income housing/apartments
Amarillo Gardens: 1223 S. Roberts 373-1074
Cross Timbers: 2401 N. Grand 383-8222
Green Acres: 3118 W. 15th 376-6013
Greentree Village: NE 24th and Fritch Highway 381-8387
San Jacinto: 350-4605
Spring Terrace: 2600 S. Spring 374-7522
Win-Lin Village: 5700 Wabash 353-0354
All of the above require a picture ID and proof of income.
Rental Rehabilitation Program (City of Amarillo)-- 806-378-9319 Provides financial assistance to property owners as an incentive to rehabilitate substandard rental units. The assistance offered is in the form of a no interest deferred payment loan which is forgiven at the end of a 5 or 10 year period.
Section 8 Rental Assistance (City of Amarillo)-- 806-378-3098 Federally funded program to provide rental assistance to lower income families. Participants lease units from existing market, and the city pays a rent subsidy each month to the landlord on behalf of the family. There is a waiting year of approximately two years.
Shelter Plus Care (City of Amarillo)-- 806-378-3098 Provides rental assistance and supportive services to homeless persons with a chronic mental illness.Participants lease units from existing market and pay approximately 30% of their monthly adjusted gross income as their share of the rent. Participants must comply with a treatment plan.
Families in Training Program -- 806-372-2531 This program is geared to defray costs in rent while families are enrolled in post-secondary education.
Habitat for Humanity -- 2700 Wilson-- 806-383-3456 If a person qualifies, they can get a house for about $300 a month. There is no interest and no closing costs. People must be willing to volunteer 500 hours towards building another home for someone else. They require the last 2 years income tax returns, pay stubs, etc. Call for details.
Housing for Single Parent (with or without children)
- Buckner Family Place: 1615 S. Tyler 373-3422 For single parents who are working or going to school. A case manager will help parents get signed up for programs necessary to be successful. Rent is required and HUD is accepted.
2. Sunshine Cottage: (Eveline Rivers) --Requires women to be attending school and working towards goals. Must be a 2 year or 4 year degree. This is for homeless, low or moderate income only.
Martha's Home -- 1204 SW 18th Ave. --Amarillo, TX 79102 -- Phone: 806-372-4035 -- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Provides homeless women and their children with shelter and support while guiding them towards a lifestyle of self-sufficiency. This is temporary housing.
Case Management services with individualized assistance;
- GED tutoring and access to academic programs at Amarillo College, WTAMU;
- Assistance with scholarship opportunities and grant applications;
- Vocational training and job placement through the Panhandle Workforce Solutions;
- Life skills training where women learn budgeting, job interviewing skills, stress management, and conflict resolution;
- Legal matters through Legal Aid of Northwest Texas;
- Medical problems and completing medical forms;
- Childcare through local and government funded programs;
- Parenting classes taught at Family Support Services;
- Spiritual support and regularly scheduled Bible study;
- Mentoring by former Martha’s Home clients;
- Establishment of permanent housing through City of Amarillo Rental Assistance, Shelter Plus Care, etc
Salvation Army -- 806-373-6631 -- The Salvation Army Social Services will operate on a walk-in, first-come/first-served basis. Clients will be seen without having to make appointments when they have all required documents.
Sunshine Cottages -- (Eveline Rivers) -- 6104 Gainsborough 355-3572 Independent furnished apartments are available to single parents who have possession of their children and the parent is attending AC or WTAMU in a two year or four year program. All utilities are paid and laundry area is provided.