" If technology is designed mostly by the half of our population that's male, we're missing out on the innovations, solutions and creations that 50% of the population could bring.", NCWIT
Driven by equity and access, we advance the awareness of information technology and computing opportunities for PV Women.
WIT, PV's Women & IT
Our first year was fun and busy! We hosted or participated in many wonderful events and activities in 16/17. PV became partners with Girls Who Code and National Center for Women & Information Technology. WIT participated with several organizations, including; Arizona State University, Executive Women's Forum, Cisco, and Stanford University.
- Expansion of Cluster with Folding @Home and Stanford University - design/deploy cluster array for Facilities and each HS, solar-powered home kits.
- Launch the first K12 global LOLA node, performing live music with with Kentucky, over the Arizona Sun Corridor Network.
- Creation and experiential events at middle and high, called TGIF (Tech Girls Innovating on Friday), from 4-9 pm.
- Launch of L-Space, an IT experiential and creation space for students at Technology Operations Center.
- Computer programming centers for students using Microsoft technologies.
- A student-centered cybersecurity and networking lab with Cisco.
- Collaboration technology centers for students using Cisco and Google cloud technologies.
- Data Center tours and understanding via L-Space events.
- Development and mentoring support to PV's Immigrant/Refugee Initiative, speaking many different languages.
- Twenty-two, K-12 female students present on WIT at the General Session of the annual, AZ K12 CTO/CIO Conference.
- Real Life Stories v2.x to multiple PV schools.
- Going deep with world-class data centers owned and operated by Zayo.
- Over 20 professionals from Executive Women's Forum provide digital risk and security conversations with elementary and high school students.
- Sponsorship and support to PV's first group of HS female students taking coding courses through edX.
- Integration of NCWIT's Counselors for Computing (C4C) into all PV high school counseling and career offices.
- IT mentoring of 10+ female HS students, the entire Summer.
- Technical experiences and activities with light waves through PV's ongoing large-scale, Wide Area Network, fiber installation by Zayo.