Port Townsend Maritime Academy
An initiative of the Port Townsend School District and the Maritime Discovery Schools
Set Your Course for a Maritime Career
Knowledge -- Skills -- Experience
The mission of the Port Townsend Maritime Academy is to train and inspire Washington State's Future Maritime Workforce through innovative, rigorous, and hands-on educational opportunities.
The PTMA serves high school and middle school youth from around the Olympic Peninsula and is a Port Townsend School District Program run in conjunction with West Sound Technical Skills Center and the Northwest Maritime Center.
Port Townsend High School Maritime Career and Technical Education Classes (open to PTHS Students):
- Vessel Operations - 2nd Period at Port Townsend High School
- Boatbuilding - 4th Period at Port Townsend High School
- Maritime Robotics -
- Maritime Manufacturing - 5th Period at Port Townsend High School
West Sound Tech - Port Townsend Schools - Summer School Programs.
- Maritime 101: Adventures at Sea Summer Vessel Operations Class. Open to all school districts within WST consortium.
Northwest Maritime Center/Port Townsend School District CTE Classes (open to neighboring school districts).
- Maritime 202: "SOS: Safety on Ships" Course. Basic Safety Training (Alaska Marine Safety Education Association Drill Conductor Safety Course). US Coast Guard Certification. Spring Dates to be announced soon!
Maritime Internships and Apprenticeships for High School Students.
- Summer Internship aboard Schooner Adventuress
- Summer Internship aboard Schooner Martha
- Summer Internship at NW Maritime Center
West Sound Technical Skills Center and Port Townsend School District are currently exploring a "satellite skills center" program to house a Maritime Academy half day program in Port Townsend for the 2019 - 2020 school year. Please check back for updates!
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out this awesome video of our summer school program aboard the Adventuress! "Adventures at Sea"
This could be you in 2019!
Watch as Schooner School students enter a life raft as part of their Vessel Safety "Drill Conductor Course".
Practice makes proficient.
Watch a real Coast Guard Rescue where these same skills had to be put to the test (not by our students!).
Students in Schooner School and Safety on Ships Courses will earn their USCG Fishing Vessel Safety Drill Conductor Courses. Every commercial fishing vessel by law must have at least one person certified with this... and now you can see why!