Math Wizards is a before-school parent-led enrichment program supported by the Saratoga PTA. Our philosophy is that children learn mathematical concepts best in a problem solving context and our goal is to instill enthusiasm and love for mathematics at an early age. It is suitable for all students of grades 4 & 5, those who already love math and those not so keen on it. Mathletes will increase their problem solving skills and learn math in a fun way. A variety of topics will be covered – examples include visual perception, spatial perception and orientation, word problems, arithmetic operations, skip counting, factors, time and date, money, logical reasoning, and 2D and 3D shapes.
Our Math Wizards will prepare for and participate in 5 international contests run by the Math Olympiad held Nov 2019 through March 2020 and optionally participate in the Math Kangaroo competition on Thursday March 19, 2020 on school premises
Math Wizards Meetings
Math Wizards will run from September to March with approximately 20 meetings on Wednesday mornings (7:20am–8:20am).
The meetings will be fun and relaxed. Mathletes will be in groups of maximum 5 students per station; stations may include board games, puzzles, and worksheets.
A parent meeting will be held on August 27, 2019 at 7pm in the school library.
Weekly meetings are led by parent volunteer math coaches, with the help of parent volunteers from participating families.
Each registered family is required to volunteer a minimum of 6 hours per student in order to maintain a 1:5 ratio of parent to students. Details of volunteering will be discussed at the information meeting and is a great way for you to share your mathlete’s journey.
Program quality can only be maintained with sufficient parent participation.
All Parent Volunteers must be cleared to volunteer through the district in order to work with the students.
Registration and Contribution
Registration is now open on the Saratoga PTA store
The requested contribution amount is $50 per student. This amount will be used for the Math Olympiad and Math Kangaroo (optional for a requested contribution of $25) registration fee, teaching resources, and a celebration party in May 2020. This amount is based on full contribution participation.
For contributions made by check, please make check payable to "SES PTA" with a note in the memo "Math Wizards - Name - Grade". Turn in the contribution check to the school office (in the PTA drawer labeled "Math Club").
No refunds will be offered for missed meetings. A refund will be given if Math Wizards is cancelled due to low registration numbers (determined on a grade by grade basis).
Math Olympiad Contest
The Mathematical Olympiads for Elementary & Middle Schools (MOEMS) contests will be held at school during the weekly meetings.
• There will be five monthly contests (each of 30 mins duration) scheduled by Math Wizards from November through March.
• Any student qualifies if he or she can work independently: read and answer the question, showing their approach. This is not multiple choice.
• Each student receives a certificate of participation.
• The contest questions are interesting, challenging and appropriate for the mathlete’s grade and provided by the International MOEMS Committee.
Math Kangaroo Competition
The Math Kangaroo competition will be held after school on Thursday, March 19, 2020.
• Math Kangaroo competition is an international, once a year event, always on the third Thursday in March.
• Any student qualifies if he or she can work independently: read and answer a multiple choice test.
• Each student receives a t-shirt, certificate of participation, and a gift in addition to a competition booklet and a pencil on the test day.
• The competition questions are appropriate for the students' age, are interesting and challenging. Questions are chosen by the International Math Kangaroo Committee.
Contact coordinators at email@example.com.