6 - 12 Sept 2020
Registration will open in Spring 2020
Who we are:
The Plant Environmental Physiology Group (PEPG) is a special interest group of the Society for Experimental Biology and the British Ecological Society The Workshop will provide a unique opportunity for MSc, PhD students and early career researchers to gain hands-on experience and training in plant ecophysiology techniques from leading scientists and manufacturers.
The intensive five day long workshop will include demonstrations of key field and lab techniques:
- leaf-level processes including photosynthetic gas exchange.
- chlorophyll fluorescence (including imaging).
- canopy processes including stable isotopes, monitoring canopy development/Leaf Area Index, IR thermography.
- plant water status hydraulic conductance.
- soil, water, roots, nutrient status.
- theory and practice of long-term monitoring under field conditions, including micrometeorology, eddy covariance, and remote sensing methodologies.
This comprehensive workshop provides an unrivalled opportunity for manufacturers to introduce their latest equipment and give hands-on training.
The successful format includes a daily programme of lectures introducing the theory of techniques, with a demonstration of the equipment, followed by hands on sessions for participants to collect data. Evening sessions allow group discussions of techniques and data analysis, as well as a research poster session.
The following internationally renowned scientists taught and demonstrated key techniques at the previous workshop:
- Professor Susanne von Caemmerer (ANU, Australia)
- Professor Howard Griffiths (Cambridge, UK)
- Professor David Kramer (Michigan State, USA)
- Professor Kathy Steppe (Ghent, Belgium)
- Dr Carl Bernacchi (USDA, USA)
- Dr Bernard Genty (CNRS, France)
- Dr Andrew Leakey (Illinois, USA)
- Dr Colin Campbell (METER, USA)
- Dr Wanne Kromdijk (Cambridge, UK)*
- Dr Richard Webster (LJMU, UK)*
- Professor Stephen Long (Illinois & Lancaster)
- Professor Tracy Lawson (Essex, UK)
- Professor Xinguang Zhu (CAS, China)
- Professor Lawren Sack (UCLA, USA)
- Professor Gary Lanigan (Teagasc, Ireland)
- Dr Jochem Evers (Wageningen, NL)
- Dr Douglas Cobos (METER, USA)
- Dr Katie Field (Leeds, UK)
- Dr Amanda Rasmussen (Nottingham, UK)*
- Dr Steven Driever (Wageningen, NL)*
The 2020 Workshop Organising Team
- Dr Amanda Rasmussen (Nottingham, UK)
- Dr Wanne Kromdijk (Cambridge, UK)
- Dr Steven Driever (Wageningen, NL)
- Dr Richard Webster (LJMU, UK)